We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

Hacienda Heights...
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Tofino to Port Alberni? We are staying in Tofino but want to take a ride on the mail boat MV Lady Rose.

10 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

130 Kilometers. About 2 hours.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

The Lady Rose is long gone-replaced by the Frances Barkley.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,940 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

Yes, but the company is still called Lady Rose Marine. Its a lovely trip, but I'm not sure how practical it would be to try and do it from Tofino, drive out to PA, spend the day on the boat and then drive back again (unless you are spending that night in PA?)

You might look at a trip from Uclulet using a water taxi around the Broken Islands group and over to Bamfield instead.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

hi

google maps has it at 2 hrs:13 min; but if you are a nervous driver in windy twisty mountain roads; the section along Kennedy Lake will slow you down quite a bit. http://goo.gl/maps/UWCua

it is a long way for a boat ride when there is so much more close by.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

Having just driven from Tofino to Port Alberni a few weeks ago, I cannot say it took any longer than 1 hour 40 mins and this was my first time driving abroad. Don't be put off by comments of windy twisty roads. They may be by Canadian standards but are still much wider than UK roads.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

<<Don't be put off by comments of windy twisty roads. They may be by Canadian standards but are still much wider than UK roads.>>

Isn't that the truth - I still have nightmares about our first time on UK roads in the countryside - driving on the left side with the steering wheel on the right - totally different perspective. My hubby blew out the front tire the first day by hitting the curb when not slowing down enough when pulling off the road. We keep losing our rear view mirror when hitting those of other cars going the opposite direction. When I returned to the UK for a 3 month work assignment, I made a point to lease a small french car - so that the steering wheel was on the left like at home - made a world of difference.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

<<Don't be put off by comments of windy twisty roads. They may be by Canadian standards but are still much wider than UK roads.>>

We have driven that road almost annually for a number of years. Over time, they have straightened the road out quite a bit and added laybys. They also have concrete barriers in places where there were just warning signs before. It's nowhere near as "exciting" as it once was. (I recall the first time we went over - don't wish to date myself by revealing what year that was. We were at a previous incarnation of the Schooner Restaurant and a young motor cyclist came in bragging about the time it had taken him to do the Port Alberni to Tofino run - about 2/3 of what it had taken us. I was somewhat flabbergasted!)

cbaarch makes a good point about having respect for the road around Kennedy Lake. Because it hugs the mountain, there is no room for road widening. I would rather not drive that part of the road at night, in particular in the rain. Last year, or the year before, an ambulance (with experienced drivers) went off into the lake resulting in some loss of life.

I would allow at least 2 hours, in particular during summer months when you can get behind trailers who are having to take it slowly. (And, yes, I know all about narrow twisty roads in the UK. However, it's not the narrowness of the twisty road that's the concern in much of BC as the consequences of an accident on a road with a narrow shoulder and empty space beyond.)

Edited: 21 July 2013, 23:08
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,076 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

Oh my, Itchy! >>I recall the first time we went over<< It took me a minute to realize that you meant over the highway to Tofino. I was stopped for a minute as I thought you were saying "over the edge of the cliff!"

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

Thank you, Mufti, for my evening chuckle!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?

An alternative boat ride you might consider is going by water taxi from Tofino to Ahousaht to walk a bit of the Walk on the Wild Side. The boat ride is fabulous and not that expensive as it is a commuter boat for residents. Just a thought, if hiking is your thing.

http://www.wildsidetrail.com/Home.html

Reply to: Driving time from Tofino to Port Alberni?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Alberni