We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship Crowds?

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ship Crowds?

Wife and I are planning on spending a few days in Port Alberni July 22-23, and I am wondering how crowded the town gets when the cruise ships arrive. Is midweek a good time to visit? Thank you for your response, and am looking forward to our visit.

11 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,092 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

Hi twiles ~

I am not aware of any cruise ships that arrive in Port Alberni. Alaska cruises will stop in Victoria for a few hours on the way to their home port in Seattle.

Port Alberni will be perfectly easy for you to visit without wall to wall people.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

I know PA-you won't be overwhelmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaawvjH9cus

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,092 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

ha ha. HAL had two cruise ships stop in PA. One in May 2009 and one in May 2011. Did they get lost or something, faulty depth sounder?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,742 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

If it was in May those years then it sounds like a one-off leg of a repositioning.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

No, HAL did try Port Alberni as the city pushed it hoping for more business. Didn't prove fruitful so it was never repeated. In past years, some lines including, I think Princess, tried a mini-cruise around southern Vancouver Island but the call is still for Alaska.

I know a Celebrity cruise is stopping at Nanaimo in a few days but this is a one-off to kill time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,092 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

Sounds like a repositioning cruise up from California to begin their Alaska cruise season. 10 hours in Nanaimo, 12 hours in Victoria, ends in Vancouver.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,742 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

Gees, this is late for a repositioning? Infinity has already done an Alaska round trip from San Francisco, and this Nanaimo docking will be part of a 12 night repositioning to Vancouver from where she will be then be sailing round trips on one of the worst itineraries for any Alaska cruises

Celebrity are also docking Soli (Solstice) at Nanaimo on 21 Sept as she repositions out of the Alaska circuit to the Australia/South Pacific circuits.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

Infinity has already done a 10-day R/T to Alaska from San Francisco prior to this Alaska/repo cruise to Vancouver. Was nearly going to go on it 9but was too cheap).

Anyway, fact of the matter is that the average Alaska cruise pax wants to see Victoria sights (and most infrastructure for a few thousand visitors arriving/leaving all at once) and they only do it because the ships, if leaving from a U.S. port such as Seattle, have to make a foreign stop to satisfy the PVSA (or is is PSVA?)

FWIW, on the last cruise arriving into Port Alberni, a tour of the pulp mill was one of the excursions...... Cruse line doesn't get to sell much. The big excursion for that Celebrity cruise stopping in Nanaimo is Old Country Market in Coombs......

Edited: 02 June 2015, 16:26
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,092 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

PVSA, Passenger Vessel Services Act.

The Nanaimo stop is something else, just a stop on the itin because the PVSA doesn't apply here - California to Vancouver. Doubtful they could have berthed overnight in Victoria for two days there. Would be nice though for the pax, to get in Butchart and then the city. Nanaimo almost has enough to do for a day off a ship.

Edited: 02 June 2015, 17:15
Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Ship Crowds?

As I mentioned, the Nanaimo stop is definitely to kill time, and Nanaimo has a cruise terminal with no customers to boot so moorage/port fees are probably minimal. Also cheap to put a ship along at 1/4 speed or whatever than race down to Victoria.

PVSA requirement is in referral to all the ships that stop in Victoria between Seattle and Alaska.

Reply to: Cruise Ship Crowds?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Alberni