We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closing my account

Closing my account

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2016, 19:00

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,110 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closing my account

Hi ~

If you like, you can post your concern on the Support Forum, a forum meant for questions about "how to?" And "there's a problem with ...." Here is the link:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12…

I will post here the same info that I would post there. First of all TA Staff are not accusing you of anything. They are suggesting that something in your review is violating the guideline for hearsay. This can take many forms. People post on Support the same thing, saying they followed all the guidelines and there is nothing wrong with their review, but when they post their review, regular members can usually spot the problem content. TA are suggesting that you look for that problem area, reword it so that the event remains factually true but does not violate the guideline. I participate in the Support Forum, looking at these reviews all the time.

TA do not fact check anyone's reviews. Reviews either comply with the review writing guidelines or they don't. When they don't, the review is removed and the reason why is emailed to the reviewer.

This is not the forum to take a look at your review, but if you open that link above and post in the Support Forum, copy your review there and ask for a hand with locating the problem content, you will get lots of help with it.

If you would rather skip that step, a shame really, then I will post in the next reply how to request your account be closed. I will lose what I typed here on my device if I go off to get the link.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,110 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closing my account

Okay, to close your account, open this link: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Settings-cp

You may have to sign in to proceed to your Account page. Scroll down to the last blue link in the white panel. I think it simply says "Close your Account." There is a bit of a process to follow and then I believe a confirmation button to click. Not sure exactly as I've not gone that far.

I do hope you will see that TA is following their standard process with regard to the review writing guidelines and that they simply cannot fact check reviews. How could they possibly? They could ask a reviewer to submit paperwork I guess but how could they know the paperwork was authentic. It would be a nightmare. So they use their guidelines which we all have to adhere to.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,743 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closing my account

In addition to the wise words from Mufti, something as simple and as innocent as a one off use of words such as "I was told", or "I heard" can trigger the automatic response from the automatic filters to generate a less than perfectly worded email reason for non-publication.

Like Mufti, I also follow the Support forum, and the the sort of things you mention are discussed and solved there usually quite simply by the regular very experienced TA users.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,707 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closing my account

I'm not sure if you can have your reviews removed by TA, even if you close your account. I believe that if you read the "fine print" of the "Terms of Use", you will find that once you submit the material, you have given them free use of it, perpetually and irrevocably. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/pages/terms.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closing my account

Lucky you! I had my Venice apartment review summarily removed after it was approved and posted. It was up for several months, and then it was gone, with no notice. It was only when I directed someone to find the apartment by checking my Venice reviews that I discovered it was gone! Can't even be bothered to review things now. I just recommend the apartment if I'm posting on the Venice forum and people are asking.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,110 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closing my account

All reviews are removed, an account with more than 25 forum posts is left intact.

https:/…200615117

Reply to: Closing my account
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Alberni