We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how's the road to parksville during winter?

Vancouver
1 post
Save Topic
how's the road to parksville during winter?

Hi,

We're planning to go to Parksville for the first time this month. We're taking our car from Vancouver --- ferry --- then drive to Parksville from Departure Bay.

How's the road to Parksville during winter? Just in case, there will be some light snow, ice or something similar to the kind of winter that we had last Dec 2008?

would appreciate your feedback. thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,512 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how's the road to parksville during winter?

The main highway up to Parksville from Nanaimo is a big, wide highway. The closest I can think of is Highway 1 out through Abbotsford/Chilliwack. It winds a bit, but as I recall, most of the climbs and decents are gentle enough. However, in a major storm, no road is good and you will just have to wait for the ploughs to do their work.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how's the road to parksville during winter?

fine...you will not have to cross the Malahat which is probably the worst section of the Island Hwy. if there is snow, as always, drive for the conditions.

parksville
Level Contributor
424 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how's the road to parksville during winter?

I've actually never seen them close that hwy. and even in really snowy conditions it's still passable if you have good snow tires.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,327 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how's the road to parksville during winter?

If it was snowing and the plows had not been through yet, your only challenge would be immediately after you disembark from the ferry at Departure Bay. When you arrive at the first traffic light you are directed to turn right and go up Brechin Hill. This road is well maintained but is the only real hill on the whole trip.

My advice, if it was really snowing, would be to continue straight through the light on Stewart Avenue and continue 1.3 kms to the next traffic light. At the Husky gas station turn right and then merge onto HWY 19A north through Nanaimo. This way you will avoid the steep hill and gradually ascent to the same elevation.

The rest of the drive is straightforward, just pay attention to the other drivers!

5. Re: how's the road to parksville during winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2010, 05:15