We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Parksville May 2010

Which Parksville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Parksville May 2010

My mother was born 81 years ago in Parksville. We are from Ont and attending a wedding in Vancouver in May and my sister and I were thinking of taking her to visit Parksville. She talks about climbing Turtle Mountain but I don't find anything regarding it - maybe wrong place or just a local thing. We would like to do the trip staying over one night - two if we have to (her health & memory isn't the greatest and the purpose of the trip is the wedding). Any suggestions on a route to follow? Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Parksville May 2010

I am replying largely to bump up your question. Perhaps some of the Vancouver Island experts will be looking at TA tonight and will have advice to offer. It's such a lovely idea you have for your mother. Hopefully, TA can help make it work for you.

I did do a search for "Turtle Mountain", probably replicating what you have already done. The closest reference I could find was in western Alberta. Turtle Mountain collapsed causing the Frank Slide. However, I don't think that this is what you are looking for.

The most prominent mountain near Parksville is, I think, Mt. Arrowsmith. Here is an entry from the HelloBC website that talks a bit about the mountain -

hellobc.com/en-CA/Geography/Parksville.htm

Perhaps this is what your mother is recalling.

In any event, I assume you realize that a side-trip to Parksville would be at least an overnight trip involving ferry rides to and from Vancouver Island. Please let us know if you need more specific advice on how to get there, where to stay, etc.

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Parksville May 2010

Thanks so much. You know - she really is remembering Frank Slide - she used to live there too when she was small (her Dad was a small town minister). I appreciate your assistance

Quebec
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Parksville May 2010

spent a fair bit of time around the area (Qualicum Beach) but never heard of Turtle Mountain - so I'm afraid I won't be of any help there. The nearest big mountain would be Mt Arrowsmith but the climb (and I don't know your mother so not trying to be negative) would be too much for most 81 year olds.

As for places to stay - Tigh Na Mara or the new Beach Club are the best two in my opinion.

parksville
Level Contributor
418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Parksville May 2010

I live in parksville and have never heard of turtle mountain. We do have something called Little mountain , that some peopl elike to go up to the top of. I cannot think of anything else it might be.

Little mountain has a dangerous cliff, so avoid it if you can. a couple peopl ehave fallen to their deaths off of it.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Parksville May 2010

Again, have never heard of Turtle Mountain. It has to be Arrowsmith or Little Mountain.

Pick the Beach Club. Great rooms, beautifully decorated, right on the beach and a nice restaurant downstairs!

Hope you all enjoy a trip down memory lane!

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Parksville May 2010

Thanks so much. I believe she was probably referring to the Turtle Mountain in Alberta - that is where they moved to when she was 4. We are just going to go visit the museum and I am sure that will be sufficient.

7. Re: Visiting Parksville May 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Parksville
More Parksville Topics