We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino to Whistler

Which Parksville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Tofino to Whistler

My wife and I are planning a trip to BC in June and my itinerary will require travelling from Tofino to Whistler in one day, we will not be hiring a car.

We plan on taking the 9:45am Tofino Bus to Nanimo and the Duke Point Ferry 1:45pm departure to Tswassen arriving at 5:15pm to connect with 7pm Greyhound bus which will get us into Whistler by 9:30pm.

Any suggestions on a better route or problems anticipated with this plan would be greatly appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino to Whistler

When does the Tofino Bus get you to Nanaimo? greyhound.ca has the following option: I would look at leaving Nanaimo on the 12 noon Greyhound, on the 12:30 DP departure, for Horseshoe Bay and Vancouver with a transfer/turn around at Pacific Central Station right back up to Whistler by 7:15 pm.

I've looked at BC Ferries schedule until June 24th and I can't find a 1:45 Duke Point Departure for Tsawwassen. There are 12:45, 3:15 and 5:45 sailings. I'm not sure where you are getting 1:45 with a 5:15 arrival. The ferry DP-TS ferry takes 2 hours.

Going to Tswwassen to get to Whistler is a last resort.

Edited: 19 January 2010, 21:27
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino to Whistler

I meant to say

"the 12:30 Departure Bay departure for Horseshoe Bay" (not Duke Point)

Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino to Whistler

Thanks for the prompt response. Unfortunately the Tofino Island Express gets us into Nanaimo at 1:45pm.

The Duke Point sailing would be the 3:15 ferry arriving Vancouver at 5:15pm.

I understand Greyhound will not accept checked baggage when loading at Horseshoe Bay, thus our plan to head for Tswassen and Pacific Central Station.

4. Re: Tofino to Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 02:11
Edited: 20 January 2010, 02:11
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofino to Whistler

I have asked for #4 to be removed. Read #5 instead.

Here's the info I have from the schedules.

I'm not sure what Tofino Bus will get you to Nanaimo at 1:45. I could not find this one on their schedule. You basically have one early morning Tofino Bus choice to transfer to a Greyhound for BC Ferries via Horseshoe Bay from Tofino.

------------------------------------

Tofino Bus (April 1 - Nov 14)

dep Tofino 8:15 - arr Nanaimo Bus Depot 11:45

dep Tofino 12:45 pm - arr Nanaimo Bus Depot 4:15 pm (NO GREYHOUND CONNECTION TO HORSESHOE BAY)

------------------------------------

Here's Greyhound's schedule (Using June 18th for their website reservation system)

dep Nanaimo Bus Depot 12:01 for the 12:30 Dep Bay ferry to Horseshoe Bay and Vancouver, arr Whistler 7:16 pm.

So you can leave Tofino at 8:15 am and be in Whistler by 7:16 pm

----------------------------------

You will have less travel time by going Horseshoe Bay.

I believe the Nanaimo Bus Depot is pretty much at the front door of the Howard Johnson Hotel close to the Departure Bay ferry terminal. (OTHERS CAN CORRECT ME PLEASE.) Once you are at the Nanaimo Bus Depot, you then want to wait there for the Greyhound bus to catch the next ferry from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay and Vancouver. You load your luggage underneath the bus and get driven onto the ferry, then off the other side and into Vancouver. You ride on the same bus. You don't load anything at Horseshoe Bay because your bus drives right off the ferry and onto the highway. At Vancouver they will then transfer your luggage to the Whistler bus and off you go.

You are permitted 1 piece of checked luggage pp no charge, $10 each extra piece to 7 pieces. You are permitted one piece carry on.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 20 January 2010, 01:56
Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tofino to Whistler

Thanks for the detailed response and great advice. Please advise if you know where the Greyhound bus from Nanaimo and the Whistler Bus interline, is it at Pacific Central Station in Vancouver ?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tofino to Whistler

Yes, probably sitting in adjacent bays.

Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tofino to Whistler

You have been a great help. Thanks again.

9. Re: Tofino to Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 08:17