We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family camping at Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park

Nashville
Level Contributor
40 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Family camping at Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park

I am planning a camping trip for our family of five (kids 10, 8, and 6) in our tent trailer for the last week of June. Ideally, we would like to have a base camp near a good beach from which we could also do some daytrips to explore Vancouver Island. It seems like Rathtrevor Beach could be ideal. Can anyone comment on this vs. some other good options in the area?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,967 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family camping at Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park

Rathtrevor is hugely popular for families, so I think you've made a good choice, but BOOK AHEAD! I've only driven through once when we were in the area. Hoped to luck out with camping, but it was booked out. I've heard lots and lots of good things about it though.

You should be aware that Provincial parks do not have services at your campsite, so no power or water hookups. Water will be at a "neighbourhood" tap nearby, and there are full washroom facilities with hot and cold water and showers (I think...check the parks website to confirm)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family camping at Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park

Rathtrevor is your best choice if you want to be central, on a beach and use it as a base camp. You must book ahead. Check their online map of their sites to make sure you get in a spot that you'll like.

We have stayed there several times and the only possilbe negative of the place is that it is very full, with kids. As you have 3 young ones this won't be a problem for you!

If you are unable to get a spot there on the dates you'd like, you might consider Living Forest Campground in Nanaimo. They have oceanview sites and are located above an estuary in Nanaimo Harbour.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,737 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family camping at Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park

We stayed there with our kids in October 1991, they were then 2 and 5 - and it was such a memorably great place that I still remember the name of it to this day! We weren't in the water though, but playing & walking on the beach. I also remember lots of BIG beautiful trees.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family camping at Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park

Like previous posters have said Rathrevor Park is fantastic. You will need a reservation. You can make a reservation on April 1st. Make the reservation first thing on April 1st. The last week of June will busy but not as busy as the next week as this is the last week of school (depending on the school district). Here is a link to a website that describes the procedure for making reservations at a provincial park: http://www.discovercamping.ca/

5. Re: Family camping at Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Parksville
More Parksville Topics