We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats a season like in Nelson?

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, England
3 posts
Save Topic
Whats a season like in Nelson?

Hey, can anyone help me?

Lived in Calgary for 18 months and am looking to come back do a season boarding. I dont wanna go Banff or anywhere cos too many Ozzies, not that i have anything against them i just love Canadians and what to be back in a candian town. Not too interested in a Party town, just a nice Canadian town with a few bars is fine.

Im looking at Nelson, Kelowna and Golden/Fernie. Not sure what the resorts are like in Nelson thpough, I hear Red Mountain isnt great for Boarders. How about Whitewater? and what are the chances of getting a little one bed flat on a short term lease in Nelson? and what are job prospects like (i.e. bar work etc)? Cant come just to snowboard if i have nowhere to live and no job. :-(

your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Si

Bragg Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats a season like in Nelson?

Nelson is a great little Canadian town, picturesque, nice restaurants and bars - I'm off their myself for a pre boarding weekend. It is quieter than Fernie, which will have more international locals - both have great snow.

I've boarded twice on Red Mountain - it is a great mountain and the only faults I've found with it has been visibility (I hope I was just unlucky) and crappy signposting - I've been lost twice - once I ended up going all the way around the back end of the mountain.

I hope this helps with some of your questions.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats a season like in Nelson?

I'm not a boarder, but I can say that Nelson is a really fun, laid back little town. It's a lot quieter in the winter than it is in the summer, but it is a really easy place to make friends as people are quite accepting of other folks there. I would imagine you could find a job quite easily, since there are many restaurants, and several bars and lounges, as well as a Walmart store.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats a season like in Nelson?

Hello Si- Will be in Nelson next week myself again. Have a look at www.discovernelson.com FFI and related links. What is your work experience? PM me your snail mailing address if you're interested I can mail you a Nelson Daily News (small but very informative) with all the want-ads for employment and flats, etc. I love Nelson- great vibe-people actually smile at you when you walk down the street. Short term leases are available- it seems there are summer visitors and winter visitors so the leases can reflect that type of availability. Good Luck! --Sandy

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats a season like in Nelson?

OR you can contact The Nelson Daily News directly and have then mail you several issues. That's what I did when I was looking for a flat myself and they didn't even charge me! How nice! --Sandy

Vancouver bc
Level Contributor
331 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats a season like in Nelson?

What about Rossland? I heard its pretty good there.

6. Re: Whats a season like in Nelson?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 22:19