We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Golden a good Base?

Which Golden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Golden a good Base?

We are planning our trip in August. 4 nights in Seattle, 7 nights in Vancouver , then driving up to the Rockies. We want to find a good central place to stay for maybe 5 nights and explore from there. I've been doing a bit of research and Golden seems fairly central. Anyone got suggestions or thoughts that they would like to share?

We are flying home to the UK from Seattle so any help on routes and time scales from Golden/Cranbrook back to Seattle would be much appreciated. Is it a good idea to drive down into Montana or Idaho?

Thanks for any help! June

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

Hi Conogirl!

Vancouver to Golden Via Trans Canada Highway is 8 Hours 30 Minutes. Quite a long trip. I think a better option would be Revolstoke. It is listed (on www.mapquest.com) as being 6 Hours 30 Minutes. There are lots of options for accomadations in Revolstoke, so I will let you choose that. Just go to TripAdvisor's listings and make a choice.

The hotel I would probably stay at if in Revolstoke would be the Super 8 Motel. IF you didn't know this already Super 8 Motels are the largest budget accomadation chain in North America. I have stayed at many and never had a problem!

www.super8.com

I hope this helps!!

BTD

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

It depends on what you want to do. Some of the most spectacular sights are in the Banff and Jasper national parks, about an hour or more to the east. So if you were looking for beautiful hikes, I would suggest going into one of the parks to stay.

But if you were looking for more adventurous type stuff, like white-water rafting, downhill mountain biking, horseback riding, etc, there are more options in and around Golden.

I don't have a map in front of me, but I think it would be unecessarily long to go through Idaho into Washington. We drove to Spokane last year, and it was about 9 hours from Golden, and Seattle is another 3-4 hours from Spokane. I think it would be a lot faster to go back through Vancouver. There is a southern route through BC which might be a nice compromise.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

In my opinion, Lake Louise would be a better base, but the accomodation tends to be pricier. If you stay in Golden, each day you will spend quite a bit of time driving to the main sites. The highway between Yoho NP and Golden isn't the greatest either.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

Hi,

I would agree with jerm. The distance from Golden to Lake Louise is only 80 km. But, to get there you have to travel the Kicking Horse Pass, which is the worst pass on the Trans Canada Highway, in my opinion. It is very, very twisty/turny for about 20 km east of Golden. Your average travelling speed on this particular section will only be about 60 km per hour.

Don't get me wrong - this is a really spectacular road in terms of scenery, but I don't think you would want to travel back and forth on it for even a couple of days in a row. And if you are that close to Banff National Park, I really think you will want to spend at least two days exploring there. You would probably be better off basing yourself somewhere in Lake Louise or Banff.

I'm also not convinced that Golden is that much more economical than Banff. To be sure, you can rent some really expensive rooms in Banff (think Banff Springs Hotel or the Rimrock), but the last time I was in Golden I paid $165 for a hotel room on the August long weekend, and there are lots of places in Banff for that price or better.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

If you do stay in Golden, a not to miss site is a trip up to Kicking Horse resort. Last year it was $28 for one person I think, you get the gondola ride up, a very fancy nice meal up top of the world, and a grizzly tour which is very interesting, I've done this 3 times now, and I live in Golden. I love it everytime I do it and have seen the grizzly each time. Golden has some nice bed and breakfasts and lodges besides the motels and you can find some good rates. Radium Hot Springs is a 1 hr. trip for a dip in their beautiful pool. Golden has some very nice resturants, lots to do. Of course I live here and Banaff is nice also, if you don't mind lots of people.

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

What's it like living there ?

Are there any oportunities to buy condos

there with a a view to renting them out.

I am looking to leave the UK and looking at

different places.

I lived in Montreal for 3 years and loved Canada but wouldn't settle in the French

bit because of the ridiculous language police and all the separatist nonsense !

I am into skiing, cross country mountain

biking, hiking etc...!

Regards - Mark, Blackburn, UK

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

YEs, their are condos to buy with a view. So many young people are coming here because of all their is to do in a smaller town, lots of great bike trails, sking, white water rafting, ect. I love it here. The weather is pretty good, average. But most of all I like the small town with the friendly people. The town is worth your while to check it out. Prices in property have gone up alot since the new ski hill was put it.

rocky mountains
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

Take a look at Bighorn Meadows in Radium - new ongoing development that's got really good 2 and 3 bedroom condos on the golf course. About an hour from Golden and 30 minutes from Panorama. The staff are really friendly too.

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

Thanks for all the input. There is so much to see and do its a great help to whittle down the options.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Golden a good Base?

I am considering applying to a job in Golden. My husband is concerned about employment for him. What is there in terms of employment in Golden? Is there opportunities to open up a small business?