We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birds Nests

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
367 reviews
Save Topic
Birds Nests

Driving south from Golden towards Radium we saw several large nests on what looked like purpose built platforms on 20 foot high poles. When we asked down the road we were told these were Osprey nests, is this correct? Is it part of a conservation project? I'm interested to know.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,825 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birds Nests

Like this?

…smugmug.com/Animals/Birds/i-VtvJF5Q

Ministry of the Environment, BC info: www.wildlifetree.ca/docs/DWC-eagles.pdf

I believe there is a strong conservation movement in the province for osprey. DDT pesticide had a huge effect on them a couple of decades ago as well as the effects of getting shot. Development and expansion of towns has intruded on their habitat. They must nest near water, where people like to build their homes too.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,825 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birds Nests

I just had a little look around and found this 7 year old article for a magazine that might interest you. The abstract alone is interesting and I suspect the fight to advocate for the osprey is still on 7 years later.

wildlifebc.org/UserFiles/File/3_2_Arndt_Moor…

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birds Nests

Thanks for the quick reply. The nests with their chicks were quite a sight to behold.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birds Nests

Yes - they were osprey nests. Very common all across Canada.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Birds Nests

Yep, plenty of osprey nesting platforms here in Ontario too. My understanding is that ospreys were hit really hard by DDT before it was banned, so building nest sites for them was a way to speed up the population recovery. Ospreys are fish-eating birds, so while they rarely have a shortage of food they're very vulnerable to bioaccumulation, and the pesticides basically made them lay faulty eggs. A side benefit of the nesting platforms is that when they're on roadside utility poles they make easy access spots for widlife photographers to get that classic osprey landing shot.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birds Nests

The other advantage to providing osprey with nesting platforms is that then they don't build their nests on power poles (potentially electrocuting the birds and causing a power outage). There was one such pole here that was desirable to a pair of osprey... a nesting platform was put up nearby, and the power pole nest is now "occupied" by a plastic flamingo.... keeps everybody happy. ;-)

Golden, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birds Nests

There are osprey nests in abundance however they usually quite high in the cottonwood trees along the river bank. What you likely saw were nests for Canada geese built by Tom Simes and Ron Feuz a couple Golden sportsman many years ago. Because the river level rises quickly in the spring the nests on the ground would flood so Tommy and Ronnie built them highrises.

Golden
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Birds Nests

You're correct, there is a large number of osprey nests along Highway 95 south from Golden. There is not a specific management program for ospreys but the birds are attracted by the plentiful food available in the Columbia River and the Wetlands. The Columbia Wetlands are the longest proected wetlands in N. America so all species benefit. Other plentiful species include Blue Heron and Bald Eagle as well as Black Bear, Beaver and deer.

9. Re: Birds Nests

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 23:16