We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden - Wolf Centre

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Golden - Wolf Centre

My husband and I have planned our second trip to the Canadian Rockies for this September, and are considering a visit to the Northern Lights Wildlife Wolf Centre in Golden.

Does anyone have any experience with this wolf center? If so, how good is it?

I noticed on their website a reference to Blackwolf Photography, who will take you into the enclosure for photos and semi-direct contact. Any info on whether this is good, and worth the money?

Thanks to anyone who can share any info on this wolf center!

(And thanks to Judy in Calgary who saw my embedded question in another older thread, and advised me to start a new one!)

rocky mountains
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

I went there in February and there were 3 wolves in the enclosure. One was out of sight, but made an appearance when called (the "wolf howl" was one of the highlights). A lot of wolf literature available there. Very informed host.

I believe the photo sessions have to be booked in advance, otherwise you can just turn up. If I'd had the money, and known for certain which day I'd be in the area, I would definitely have gone for the "up close and personal" opportunity. Bear in mind that wolves are unpredictable (though not dangerous) and so each experience will be different.

England
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

I went there last august and the place is a bit of a hell hole. It's in the middle of nowhere, and there were only 3 wolves.....and a one eyed dog. While the people there were very knowledgable it was also hard not to laugh - one woman went off on one about making socks out of her husky fur! And don't even get me started on the 'bathroom' facilities!! I'd advise you not to pay to go there!!

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

Thanks to both mountainman and VoiceofBetty for the information. I appreciate the input. Mountainman is right - it is too hard to ensure we will be on a specific schedule for the photography session. There is so much to do in the area, and time is so precious, we will put this toward the bottom of the list for that area. Thanks again.

kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

Hello,

We went there last year with our two kids.

It is a small, private type of place held by people who are passionate about wolves.

We were alone and could howl with the wolves, a mystical experience that makes us want to go back there.

Our host was quite informative and kind.

You get a feeling of the real thing here.

Have a nice trip,

Jean-Pierre

Kelowna, BC, Canada

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

I would highly recommend the Wolf Centre.

The staff are very knowledgeable and you will learn a lot about wolves during the interpretive tour.

Most of the wolves are very friendly and you will be able to get a good look at them in their enclosures.

If you have time, I would really recommend hiking with the wolves (Blackwolf Photography). We went a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the best experiences we've ever had.

It involved about 1.5 hours of walking in the forest with 2 of the wolves and the owners of the centre.

The wolves are not on leashes or contained in any way, so you can get excellent photos of them and you can also get photos with yourself and the wolves. The wolves were beautiful and so calm.

It was an amazing experience and well worth the money. We hope to go again in the future.

Enjoy your vacation :)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,108 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

Hi BuffaloSoldier;

Welcome to the forums area. Before jumping in and answering someone’s questions, I suggest looking at the date of the posting. This topic originated in July 2006 for a trip that September !

Best Regards

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

BuffaloSoldier - I appreciate the info. Even though my original post was 2 years ago, we are going to the area again this September. So we may get a chance to give the wolf center a try this time. We love to take photos, and I love wolves, so it's good to know that you enjoyed it. And thanks for the details about the experience!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,004 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

For what it's worth - I have a good friend who is a neighbour of this place, and she doesn't have nice things to say about it....

Nearby there is a buffalo ranch that is pretty neat.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

Whoops! I saw July 08, but didn't read the year properly...silly me.

I'm glad it may be of some help for your next trip after all, Newretiree.

bathurst, australia
Level Contributor
267 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden - Wolf Centre

Hi

we did the phoyography tour quite an amazing experience.The wolves names were Tuk & Aspen.The handler took us to a secluded area we fed the wolves,watched them roam at there own leisure for 1 or 2 hrs.truly amazing animals would higly reccomend it

Pomlea