We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heritage of the Willingdon Heights area of Burnaby.

Willingdon Heights...
2 posts
Save Topic
Heritage of the Willingdon Heights area of Burnaby.

Why is there little interest of heritage of the Willingdon Heights area of Burnaby.

I don't mean Kingsway, "The Heights," of the Barnet area.

They all have their own heritage groups.

I mean the Kitchener School area.

How old is this Burnaby forum?

Willingdon Heights...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heritage of the Willingdon Heights area of Burnaby.

I used to watch movies and go to swap meets at the Lougheed Drive In, not far from Gilmore Station.

What ever happened to the old railway tracks that used to cut

diagonally through Gilmore, Lougheed, and Boundary Road, just below the towers?

Where can I get copies old photos of those tracks and the Lougheed Drive In?

Thank You.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heritage of the Willingdon Heights area of Burnaby.

Have you been to the Vancouver Museum down by the Planetarium in Kitsilano area? They had an exhibit a couple summers ago that I believe was called "Vancouver 101". The photos and information they had extended from Vancouver to the Fraser River and they had some excellent photos of the Burnaby Lake area. Their archives might have some things that you are looking for. Also the archives in the Deer Lake/Burnaby Village Museum may help you as well. I'm not sure how far back you want to go.

I'm also thinking that there are archives in the city planning offices that would show you want stores were where, what streets have changed over time, if any new schools have opened and when, or whatever housing developments were planned. My father moved into that area in 1967 and I hear stories of all that has changed. I'm sure the information is out there but it may not yet be compiled from all the different sources. Good luck with the info search!

Get answers to your questions about Burnaby
More Burnaby Topics