We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

My family is planning an RV trip in Alberta for the end of June/start of July 2011.

I am starting to get ready to book campsites as soon as registration opens for a family summer trip with two 7 year olds. We will be flying into Calgary around June 23, picking up our camper early in the morning (as early as possible - we have "early pick up option) getting groceries at an organic grocery store I found on line in calgary and then probably heading to the Lake Louise area for 5 days.

After Lake Louise/Banff, we are going to Drumheller for a night or 2 and then to Dinosaur Prov. Park for 3 nights returning to Calgary on the 4th of July, flying out early on the 5th.

My questions are:

Currently I am thinking of doing Dinosaur Prov. Park over Canada Day weekend. My thinking is that it will be less busy than Banff? (or maybe not more busy than usual and I can reserve tours/campsites soon.)

Where to Stay in Drumheller. River Grove? Dinosaur Trail? Dinosaur RV Park in town? How long? The only thing I really want to do in Drumheller is see the museum. We will be driving from Lake Louise or Banff, the stop in Drumneller, and then going to Dinosaur Prov. Park last. Banff and Dinosaur Prov. Park are higher in my list of places to spend time. We will probably stop for groceries again going through Calgary to Drumheller.

Is Three nights at Dinosaur Prov. Park too much with 7 year olds? (Heat? is there swimming?)

We are driving from Lake Louise or Banff the day we go to Drumheller. Plan to spend a night in Drumheller, then a day at the museum, another night in Drumheller then drive in the morning to Dinosaur Prov. Park. Probably spending 3 nights in the park to be able to do some tours before heading to Calgary for a night and then home. Does that iteneray seem reasonable, or should a shave a few days off Drumheller/Dinosaur Park and add some time to Calgary or maybe somewhere else along the Banff/Drumheller Calgary area?

Thanks for your help!

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

My family and i went to Drumheller last year and you can easily do all of it in a day or two. The museum was really neat, but our favorite was the HooDoos and we took our sons aged 1 and 3 and they had a blast trying to climb it and sliding all over the place although, it had just rained so it was very slippery and we stayed close to the bottom. They do have other things to do but those are definetly the top things

Edited: 16 February 2011, 18:25
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

How far is the museum away from the Provincial Park. We were hoping to do it all in one day. My seven year old son just loves Dinosaurs. How far is Drumheller from Banff?

Sorry to ask quetions on your page?

Many thanks

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

I just typed it into mapqust and did a quick check...

Banff to Drumheller comes up 160 miles and almost 3 hours.

Drumheller to Dinosaur Prov. Park comes up as 106 miles and 2 hours.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

I'd say those travel times are pretty accurate, it might not take *quite* that long to get to Banff from Drumheller, but that will depend on the traffic.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

If you haven't found it already, use www.reserve.albertaparks.ca to reserve for Dinosaur Provincial Park. You can only book 90 days in advance of your stay. However because the park is kind of away from towns it does book quickly. The Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller is actually in Midland Provincial Park. They are similar in what they offer but worth going to both locations. You may also find www.albertaparks.ca of some help too.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

I think we have decided on two nights at Dinosaur... but I have a question about the camp ground. I am looking at the north camp ground which seems to be shady, and the south that seems to have less trees. We will have a mid sized RV, and will be there early July. Which would be better? Would the tree are be too buggy? Would the Non tree area be too hot? I will be traveling with two small kids so less buggy would be my first choice unless there is not much of a difference "bug-wise" in the two areas.

Thanks,

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,347 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

I would pick the treed area, as Dinosaur PP can be awfully hot (by my standards, anyway) in the summer. In fact, back when we were van camping, it was camping trips to Dinosaur that prompted us to get enough of those flip sunshades to cover every up single van window while we were off hiking and birdwatching during the day.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

Just got back... We ended up in a less shaded area, but that was fine. The heat was not anything close to Chicago heat. We could even sleep with windows open at night. We did seem to hit the worst week for mosquitos! They were horrible! We were told that the previous week there were hardly any, and in two more weeks there would be less as the water would dry up. We spent more time in the RV than I would have liked due to the mosquitos. Dinosaur Provincial Park is a GEM, though! I would love to go back another year, maybe earlier in June instead of July 1, 2, 3, when we were there. The park was full for the Holliday, but it is so beautiful and spacious that you don't feel crowded even when it is full.

Okotoks, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

^Closer to (or in) August might be a better time to go...June weather in Alberta can be very unpredictable (cool, rainy), and as you noticed, the heat isn't nearly as bad as most places in the US (average in summer is still less than 30c for a high). We went camping for the Canada Day long weekend in 2010, and the mosquitos were the worst I've ever experienced (and I'm originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba ;-).

Definitely an amazing place to visit though - we are returning to camp this weekend (Aug 20/21) with our near-5 year old son for him to take in one or two of the excursions the park has (book early!)...and maybe a detour for our annual trip to the amazing Royal Tyrrell before heading home (south of Calgary).

10. Re: Questions about Drumheller/Dinosaur Prov. Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 09:15