We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Gananoque June 7,8 and 9th

Toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Gananoque June 7,8 and 9th

My husband and I are taking a long awaiting 3 day vacation without the kids. We're planning a boat cruise...but are interested in what others might suggest.

Anyone know about bike trails that skirt the water?

Hikes close to the water?

Great restaurant advise?

Other suggestions?

Much Appreciated!

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Gananoque June 7,8 and 9th

The 1000 Islands Parkway runs for about 35 km to the east of Gananoque and there is a bike path the whole way. Unfortunately 17 km of it will be under construction from now until late June. You could start out biking at Mallorytown Landing and head east or just ride along the side of the (mostly 80 km/hour) road.

Since the parkway and bike path and houses and cottages fill up the shores in this area, the hiking paths are a bit further in. The closest would probably be at the Landon Bay Centre. There is a nice mix of trails and a lookout over the some of the water. Last time I was there admission was by donation.

For water-side trails, you'll have to head further inland. Rock Dunder is about 25 minutes north and has trails that run along the water and to a nice lookout with free parking and admission. Foley Mountain Conservation Area in Westport offers some of the same, but there is a parking fee. Charleston Lake Provincial Park has km's of trails with the same. The main park has a fee for parking but the Blue Mountain Trail has free parking. Two others with less water, but still nice hiking are Marble Rock and Jones Creek. For more information about hiking, biking, or canoeing in the area visit the Frontenac Arch website:

http://www.explorethearch.ca/hike-the-arch

The Waterfront Trail runs all along Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence so you may find some more places for walking along the water there:

www.waterfronttrail.org/trail-profiles.html

The boat cruise is a good choice and you may also like a trip up the 1000 Islands Skydeck if it is a nice sunny day. People also enjoy travelling up to Westport for shopping and stopping along the Rideau Canal Waterway to check out some locks. Jones Falls and Kingston Mills are the more impressive ones.

Kingston has a nice walkable downtown with some nice restaurants. I believe there's a trolly tour running during your visit as well as Fort Henry, a few small museums, and a drive-in.

Sorry, I don't have any dining experience in Gan.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,118 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Gananoque June 7,8 and 9th

Hi Joanne;

I would suggest having a look at the Town's webpage.

gananoque.ca/town-hall/town-news/discover-yo…

Best Regards

Gananoque Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Gananoque June 7,8 and 9th

The restaurants in Gananoque are hard to beat. From great pizza to fine dining. Some very interesting shopping on King St in Gan too. Don't miss Woodchuck Gallery at King and Stone Sts.

4. Re: What to do in Gananoque June 7,8 and 9th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 23:15