We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Websites

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Websites

I'm just starting the countdown to our January holiday to Kimberley.

It's been a few years since we were last there and things have changed.

I've been looking for restaurant websites to start planning some of our evenings. There's a few of us away and it's easier if I can suggest some places/prices upfront.

With being on the slopes all day, I don't have time during the day to look at menus in windows.

I'm finding websites really hard to find though.

Can anyone help?

Level Contributor
214 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Websites

I dont believe you will find websites for what you are looking for. If you would like a few suggestions I am happy to help. My top choices in order of popularity would be

1. The Old Bauernhaus..just down the road from the ski hill. Food is outstanding anything from your german snitzels, seafood, steak..all fresh and fabulous. You will not be disappointed in your meal or the service. You wont find better anywhere!

2. The Village Bistro in the downtown area. Again, excellent service, not a huge menu but most entrees do not disappoint with some better than others.

3. The Gasthaus Restaurant is downtown and has a large varied menu and generally very well prepared. Generally a safe bet for a good steak. Downside is the place is a little outdated but still very clean.

4. Mozart House is a wonderful little find in the downtown platzl...again a german flavor here with a great menu. Generally a little quieter but likely because people dont realize it is a newer ownership. Try their homemade icecream for dessert.

Other dining spots worth mentioning would be The Green Phoenix (tapas bar) or Kelseys up on the ski hill. Hope these suggestions help.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Websites

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

I think the lack of websites for restaurants is a missed opportunity. Where ever I travel I always look at menus and prices to get a feel of where I might like to eat in the evening.

I've always had plenty of luck doing things this way for other places (Most of the restaurants in Jasper, Alberta have menus on line if you spend time looking for example)

On a summer holiday it's not so much as an issue as I am likely to have time during the day to look in restaurant windows, but not for a window ski holiday when I'm on the hill all day.

I guess I might try to contact some of the restaurants direct nearer the time and see if they can email a copy of their menus.

Thanks anyway.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Websites

Kimberley is non-commerical town. NOt big league, at all. . .

Google search; Kimberley BC Restaurants - will give you phone numbers you seek. Try your best to stay away from Kelsey's at the REsort Base; typical chain menu and not unusual to experience two seating wait to get in. Much more interesting downtown at the Platzl or Old Bauerhaus "feast" a must do. . . OB likely best in town; definitely not the cheapest; McDonalds has two locations in Cranbrook :-) as does Starbucks. and Tim Hortons; few other franchise sit and order locations in Kimberely; likely reason for lack of websites?

Also - Cranbrook, B.C. Restaurants - google has answers as well.

Alternatives in Cranbrook - 25 minute drive;

heidis-restaurant.com; Heidi Past Prez of BC Restaurant Association; runs great shop with good food.

Frank's Steak and Schnitzel Haus - big meat portions; terrible red wine selection.

Thai www.hotshotslemongrass.com - fresh food; great cocktail list; venue is improving. . .

Cranbrook has many, many options. Come to town and do an early dinner and catch a movie at the 6 screen Cinema?

Don't forget Hot Springs in the area. . Lussier a must do; if roads are good; 15 minutes off main highway on road to Whiteswan Lake; must have 4whdr. . .

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Websites

Budda Belly Deli - open in "downtown" Marysville; have a "set menu" on weekend nights; around $20 "all-in" - appie/eentre/dessert. . . Small unique seating area "outside" creates interesting atmosphere. Owner operated by husband/wife team - solid people with great attention to detail.

Just ate there tonight, for first time - will definitely go back. They serve good coffee and likely make good deli sandwiches; proud of their ever increasing catering biz; order and have them deliver to your condo?? No website or biz cards even. . . They know where they are, I guess. . .

Marysville Pub - reasonably good pub grub.

www.villagebistro.ca - ask to sit upstairs at the table "with a view". . . Unique place with menu to match; again; owner operated.

Gasthaus - another hubby/wife team with German food flair.

Vancouver
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Websites

Not too sure about websites, but definitely checkout The Old Bauernhaus if you have a chance. One of, if not the best restaurant in Kimberley.

6. Re: Restaurant Websites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 07:18