We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pets on Qualicum Beach

Which Qualicum Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
Save Topic
Pets on Qualicum Beach

We were on our way to the ferry when we went down to the beach in Qualicum Beach to check out the area. We noted that there was a sign that said essentially that pdogs had to be leashed July to September and that you had to pick up after your dog.

10 minutes into our walk, a bylaw officer approached us and said that dogs were not permitted on the beach at all. He mentioned that the fine would be $230 dollars. He was friendly and did not actually fine us.

If the bylaw officer did give us a ticket, we would have definitely disputed the ticket because the bylaw sign was vague. It said dogs needed to be leashed July to September. We thought that it implied that dogs could unleashed for the rest of the year. Furthermore, there was no sign saying that dogs were not allowed on the beach.

Lastly, this incident makes me wonder who is watching!? We were just 10 minutes on the beach and the bylaw officer parked his car on the side of the road to talk to us. We believed that some nosy local called the bylaw department. Thanks for making tourists feel so welcome.

Edited: 09 March 2011, 00:29
3 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pets on Qualicum Beach

Nosy busybodies are the bane of small town life and the #1 reason I could never live in a place like that.

Qualicum Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pets on Qualicum Beach

FYI... In defense of no pets on the Beach. Qualicum Beach is a host to many varieties of migrating water fowl the least of which is the Brandt Geese. In the Spring these birds,on their annual migration to Alaska, briefly stop to feed and rest near the shores of Qualucum Beach.

For this reason , a local by-law states dogs are not allowed leashed or unleashed on the beach between March 1st until April 31st each year. The Fox is a natural preditor of the Brandt , the birds are therefore stressed by the sight of a running dog. I do hope this clears up the misinformation .

Yes! I am resident of Qualicum Beach and yes , I have been a dog owner and support the by-law.

Dogs and their responsible owners are very welcome in our community .

Thank you.

3. Re: Pets on Qualicum Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 18:06

Reply to: Pets on Qualicum Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Qualicum Beach
More Qualicum Beach Topics