We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

I'll be arriving in Calgary early morning July 15th. Need an efficient ride to RHS. Are there one-way car rentals (airport pick-up, RHS drop-off)? Alternatively, what's it like connecting with Greyhound?

I need to be in RHS as quickly as possible. Can anyone direct me to the best web sites for information?

Thanks much.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

Greyhound, I think, is still on strike. You can certainly do a one-way rental, but be prepared to pay the drop off fee. I don't know if there is a Hertz rental office in RHS, but I have done one-ways with them before and had them waive the one-way fee.

Just google "car rental" or check out Orbitz & you will see what is available.

rocky mountains
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

Not aware of any car rental agencies in Radium.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

Someone around here, krp329 if I remember correctly, posted a message to the effect that the Greyhound strike had ended.

I phoned the Radium Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce's toll free number, but there was no one there today (Saturday).

I then phoned the toll free number of Radium Hot Springs Lodge, and asked the man who answered the phone how a person could get from Calgary Airport to Radium Hot Springs. He said the only ways he knew of were to rent a car or to catch the Greyhound bus.

He was under the impression that Greyhound still was on strike, but I've done an Internet search and established that Greyhound is operating again. For example:

www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007461733

Something I should warn you about is that Greyhound does not go directly from Calgary Airport to the mountains.

You have the option of catching a Greyhound shuttle bus from Calgary Airport to the Greyhound station on the outskirts of downtown Calgary and then catch a Greyhound bus to Radium.

I looked up Greyhound's schedule on July 15th. There is one bus that does the journey in a reasonable length of time, under 4 hours. It goes from Calgary to Canmore, Banff, through Kootenay National Park to Radium. It takes 3 hours 49 minutes. BUT it doesn't meet your requirement for departing Calgary early in the morning. It departs at 5.15 p.m.!

There is another bus that takes 9 hours to do the trip. It goes to Banff, Lake Louise and Golden, and then has a layover of almost 4 hours before continuing to Radium. It does the journey overnight. It departs Calgary at 11.15 p.m. and arrives in Radium at 8.15 the next morning.

There is still another bus that takes 14 hours to do the journey. It goes from Calgary southwards, then swings westwards across the Crowsnest Pass, then goes up through Cranbrook and Invermere. It leaves Calgary early all right, at 6.30 a.m., but only gets into Radium at 8.35 p.m.

I suppose another option would be to catch the Banff Airporter shuttle bus from Calgary Airport to Banff townsite, and then catch a taxi to Radium. I'm sure that would be a very expensive proposition, though.

Julie49, if you're going to be staying at a hotel in Radium, perhaps you could call them and ask them how they suggest you get to Radium.

Alternatively, if you're going to be meeting with other people in Radium, you might discuss with them how you could cooperate with each other to make this happen.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

Thanks, all, for the feedback and especially Judy for your detailed response. It sounds like my best bet will be to get to Banff and then arrange to have a friend drive over to get me over the last leg of the journey.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

How about renting a car in Calgary at airport and driving to Fairmont Springs in summer? How long?

6. Re: Transportation from Calgary to Radium Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Radium Hot Springs