We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Which Radium Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Most of the info I am seeing is in the summer. Has anyone skied in this area? Looking at going in March. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

What kind of skiing were you thinking of? Downhill or cross country? Backcountry, heli-skiing or on a "regular" skihill? If you are looking for regular downhill skiing on a hill with proper lifts, there isn't any right in Radium, the closest would be at Panorama, west of Invermere. You wouldn't want to stay in Radium & ski Panorama, it makes more sense to stay at Panorama if you are going to ski there. If you really want to ski & hot--spring at the same place, try Fairmont Hot Springs, about 20-25 min down (south) the highway from Radium. I haven't skiied it myself but I hear it's a very nice little hill. If you are looking at the BC Rockies in general, you could also consider Kicking Horse at Golden, or Kimberley, or Fernie. Then there's all sorts of backcountry options which I am definitely NOT the person to give advice about (I prefer the groomed runs!). Could you give a little more info re your needs/desires, who's in your party, & I could be a bit more specific. I'm biased re Kimberley as it's my home hill, and I love having a hill right in town (unlike the other communities where you have to drive a bit to get to the skihill - not the case in Kimberley), but it offers a nice mixture of expert runs plus family-level runs. However, by March (depending on the weather of course) you are often definitely into spring skiing, which I don't care for (snow is icy in the shade, mushy in the sun). Also Fernie gets more snow, generally, than does Kimberley.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,747 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Any reason why you are searching for skiing in the Radium Hot Springs area, specifically? If you are flying in, it's probably cheaper to fly to Calgary (YYC) than any of the smaller airports in the BC mountains. Assuming it's downhill skiing you are looking for, YYC puts you less than two hours to Banff & Lake Louise (Sunshine Village, Mt. Norquay, and the Lake Louise ski areas) and it's also possible to ski Kicking Horse at Golden from a base in the Alberta Rockies of Banff National Park. (And Banff also has hot springs.)

P.S. No slight intended to the fabulous BC Rockies ski areas... just wondering about travelling logistics...

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

As EastBC said the closet hill is Panorama but it is only a little more than a half hour drive. Pano has lots of condos and other rooms but if you prefer to stay in Radium so you are close to the hot pools there is many motels and 2 hotels and several condo units to choose from. Fairmont Hot Springs is a beginner family hill and you have the option of staying swimming and skiing all in one spot. I live in Radium and drive the half hour twice a week to swim laps at Fairmont. Radium is a better soaking pool Fairmont is better for swimming lengths.both hills will close in Mar depending when school spring break is.

This winter we haven't much snow but Pano makes snow so they are better off than Fairmont.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Thank you for the info. We are staying in Rdium because we were given accommodation and that is where it is. One son wants to snowboard and the other 2 and my husband will be downhill skiing. I will cross country ski if I find someone to join.

We will be there last week of March. Any advise on other activities also?

Thanks

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Check out Nipika for cross country skiing they have lots of fabulous trails and it is only about half hour drive. Panorama also has good trails so you can all go together and you can go on the trails, if we get some snow the set trails on the lake may still be good.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Thank You! Any advice on restaurants for us and/or nightclubs for 20ish year olds? : )

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Radium, Invermere have a great selection restaurants for a small area. The Black Forest at the intersection turning into Invermere on the way to Panorama is an excellent place for a German Schnitzel Dinner, great homemade desserts and priced quite good. entree $15.00 to $30.00. Radium has Helna Stube also an Austrian/ German restaurant, then there is Strands a old house that has been converted into a fine dining room a little higher price range. Eagle Ranch Golf Course has a high end quite pricy restaurant.

Radium has Casa Vina a quaint very nice wine and tapas bar with limited open days but worth a look if that is something you are into.

Bud's is the only night club in Invermere and the kids also hang out at Copper City, and there is places at the hill but remember it is a long winter mountain road home.

Looking for a basic breakfast Huckleberry's in Invermere you will get pancakes and eggs.

Don't forget Kicking Horse Coffee is made here in Invermere and they have a great coffee shop with good sandwiches and you can buy there coffee there, but in Radium Meet on Higher Ground is a fabulous coffee house that makes real good muffins and scones.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

Thanks so much for the info. You are awsome! : )

9. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2012, 12:22
10. Re: Skiing in Radium Hot Springs Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2016, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Radium Hot Springs