We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

Sunshine Coast
1 post
Save Topic
Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

Does anyone know how I can preorder my groceries in Fernie for our holiday in January 2008? I am travelling to Canada from Australia and like to do self catering and have everything delivered before I arrive. Thanks, Jules

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

Contact the local Chamber of Commerce/Visitors Bureau and ask for a list of town grocers.

Contact each and ask for prices of items and delivery rates.

Note that as easy as this is to type it will most likely turn into an internet/fax odyssey of Brobdingnagian proportions since it's doubtful local grocers do business by email or are setup to take CC info off the net-it's small town not a city.

Your best bet is to take an hour/hire a cab to drive to the grocery store and buy exactly what you want no worries.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

ya i agree, small town, scale down your expectations accordingly

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

Internet grocery shopping hasn't really caught on in western Canada yet. In a town the size of Fernie I think the best you can hope for is that you will be able to find a store that will deliver for you. The Mountain Pantry, the grocery store at the ski hill, delivers. I'm not sure if the grocery store in town delivers or not. It certainly wouldn't be more than about a five minute cab ride into town from the ski hill, if you end up having to go get groceries yourself.

Here is a link to Fernie's 2007 visitor's guide. It is geared towards summer activities but certain info, such as shopping, restaurants and accomodations, are valid any time of year. It may be helpful in planning your vacation to download the guide.

www.fernie.com/about_fernie/fernie_guide.html

Have a great vacation!

- CG

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

If money is no object, you may find someone - your accomodator or local taxi company, perhaps - that will pre-buy for a premium and delivery charge. . . ?

Other than that, logistics for self-serve are straight forward, and you will save money;

Overwaitea Foods is "in town" - you will pay a premium for groceries on the mountain.

Also, Government offers lowest prices on alcohol - other's "upcharge" for same product + "chill fee" on cold beer. .

Food/Grog store are side by side in Fernie townsite. You will want to take a taxi back to the mountain - 10 - 15 minute ride - once you pick-up your groceries.

Have you been to www.skifernie.com ?? for fun you might want to bookmark and watch this site;

skifernie.com/conditions/snow-report.aspx

It is pukeing powder in this area, today = La Nina calling for lots of snow, but colder winter (bring warm clothing), this year. . .

Cheers

Calgary
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

Check with your hotel. I know there is a service on the hill where you can fill in an order sheet and have the groceries delivered. Snow Creek Lodge has this service but I'm sure it's available for all the hotels. They should be able to email or fax you the grocery list.

Also there is a shuttle bus from the hill to town (which is very close) so frankly the easiest thing is to just go shopping yourself. The ski hill has a small store but as mentioned it's pricey.

Goodtoshare

6. Re: Grocery ordering on the internet in Fernie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Fernie