We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

UK
6 posts
Save Topic
Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

Hi, we are planning a 2 week 2 centre ski holiday commencing 13th March in Kimberley and Fenie in that order (we are limited to those dates). Any advice would be most welcome on the likelihood of lack of fresh snow or poor conditions at that time in which case we may need to re-think the destinations and head further north...

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

At Kimberley you are most likely going to run into spring skiing conditions. Personally I don't care for spring skiing - the snow is icy in the shade and mushy in the sun, and that d****d overpass/culvert thing that EVERYONE has to ski down to get to the chair (quad) gets more and more treacherous as the day wears on. If you want to stay in the back you will get better snow (but usually fewer groomed runs). Another problem is that Kimberley's snow is rather "iffy" and it is hard to predict, in Dec, what the snow is going to be like come March. Are you familiar with Kimberley at all?

UK
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

Thanks for your reply and information. We've never been to either place. We have experience of Banff, Lake Louise and Whistler, but wanted to try a new place and have a mixed ability group, so wanted somewhere that will offer a range of challenges and ideally some powder days. Our main concern, since we really don't want to waste our two week trip, is that the conditions are not going to turn the holiday into a disappointment and leave us wishing we'd played it safe with Sunshine.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

I guess you realize that you will be hitting the slopes at spring break? it's always a bit crazy in Kimberley then. If you are interested in "powder" days I would probably be more inclined to stick with Fernie. Maybe 1 week Fernie & 1 wk Sunshine? (the Kimberley chamber of commerce is going to kill me!)

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

mmmm - you need to know that the Golf Courses up and down the "Warm side of the Canadian Rockies" - www.kootenayrockies.com - can be open the first weekend in April. Late March skiing here is, for the most part, days of suntanning with cool beverages and bar-b's on the outside decks.

My experience - have had family pass at Kimberley for 13 years and Fernie "add-on" for four;

1. Fernie - spring skiing is "very wet" - almost always raining on bottom of mountain and often right to top; depending upon daily temperature. Top of Mountain lifts can keep you out of the rain; but if you go make sure you wear waterproof clothing - it rains in Fernie any month of the year.

2. Spring skiing does hapen at KAR - but the Mountain's east and southern exposures equates to incredible suntans and "feeling good" vitamin D and smiling endorphyns - however, not too not much snow on the face; as already mentioned the "funnel" gets very slushy and is too busy. Spent most of ski career skiing off the Easter & Tamarack chairs - which affords great warm weather conditions on more challenging runs; Front blues are packed.

Unless it is cool - don't play "Powder" number on Mother Nature's Roulette Wheel; at either mountain. . .

- my honest opinion is that Sunshine would be the "fail safe" option for you in late March; they ski till mid-May here and, usually at Lake Louise. There will definitely be more spring crowds at either of these mountains.

Best time to ski this side of Rock is February; goto Youtube and do search for "Powder Day Kimberley". . .

KAR is really the little mountain that can, in my mind - peak is mid-January to first week of March. . .

Calgary
Level Contributor
38 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

Although I agree with other posts, I too, have had pass for Fernie for about 15 years. It is true they can have rain/slush.....but we find most of our best skiing is in March/April! Roads aren't treacherous, avalanche danger subsided, so the whole hill is open and the top of the mountain hangs onto it's snow pretty well! Plus, the crowds aren't anything compared to Christmas/Family Day. My kids aren't off school until March 27....

Anyways, I'm biased but my pick would be Fernie (mind you check the conditions in the weeks leading up I guess!?)

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

Definitely stick with somewhere else over Kimberley - unless we get a good dump soon. There's been very little snow lately; haven't been up altho DD has & has enjoyed herself (she's only 6 tho - not really able to talk about snow conditions!). I do expect to go up this weekend & can let you know how the snow is holding up if you like. Am debating if it is worth putting Miss 6 into another 6 weeks of lessons - the snow might not be very great at the end of March at this rate.........

7. Re: Kimberley/Fernie second half of March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Fernie