We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Opinion

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need Opinion

We are staying in Fernie for 4 days then moving on to another spot in the Kootenays. Should we visit Rossland or Nelson?

Thank you

29 replies to this topic
Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Need Opinion

Good thinking. We leave on a Tuesday about 4:00

Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Need Opinion

Given the good points East has made, would it be better to do that loop in reverse order? Get the ferry done first?

Fernie - Creston, up the east side of Kootenay Lake to Kootenay Bay - ferry to Balfour - stay Nelson - stay Rossland - Cranbrook.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 21:41
Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Need Opinion

I thought of doing that but the place we are staying in Nelson only had availability at the end of our trip.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
976 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Need Opinion

Here's the Kootenay Lake ferry schedule:

www.th.gov.bc.ca/marine/kootenay_ferry.htm

I'd shoot for the 9:50 am sailing. It's also the bigger boat so greater chance of getting on it. I'd try to get there for 9:15 or so to make sure you get on it. It will arrive on the East Shore of Kootenay Lake at Kootenay Bay at 11:30 Mountain Time. You could take your time a big wandering down the east shore to Creston, get there around 1 pm or so. Stop there for lunch, you will miss the lunch crowd so won't have to wait long. Try either the bakery at the corner of the highway & 10th (the first traffic light as the highway becomes "main street," just past the grain elevators - they do good sandwiches & nice borscht), or turn left & go up 10th ave a block or 2 to the Real Food Café - right across the street from the Courthouse - great food there. Or stay on the main drag & in between 10th & 11th is the Other Side which has a variety of dishes including Indonesian & things like pita pizza & souvlaki, or carry on a couple more blocks to the Break in Time (on the right side of the main street, at about 14th - there is no 13th). If you take 45 min for lunch that gets you to Cranbrook at 3 pm (1 hr 15 min travel time) which is ample time to check in - it's much appreciated by the security staff who have to get everyone through security in time to get the plane loaded & back out again, it's very frustrating for the airport staff when the plane is delayed in taking off because of stragglers checking in late.

If you get to the ferry & find that there is a sailing or 2 wait, you can always turn around, drive back to Nelson, then south through Ymir & take the Salmo Creston & you will still be in time for your flight at 4 pm.....the Salmo Creston definitely shaved a lot of travel time compared to the days when the ferry was the only option. But it's a gorgeous drive down the east shore of Kootenay Lake, don't miss it if possible!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Need Opinion

What are the new check in times with Air Canada? I thought all the Kootenays were the same time zone?

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
976 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Need Opinion

Air Canada now requires at least 45 min before departure check-in. It used to be 30 min. The east kootenays are in the mountain time zone. The west kootenays are in the pacific time zone. Creston stays on mountain standard time year round so this time of year it's the same as pacific time but in the winter it's the same as the east kootenays. Just remember that when you are driving from fernie thru Cranbrook to Nelson or Rossland you will gain an hour - in between moyie and yahk there is a sign on the hwy telling you to set yr time 1 hr back - but you will lose it upon yr return to Cranbrook. So for example I am regularly in creston on business. This time of year I leave my office in Cranbrook at 9 am driving 1 hr 15 min to creston arriving at 915 am thanks to the time change. However going home is a drag I leave Creston at 5 pm arriving back in Cranbrook at 715 pm and I'm still not home as I live 30 min beyond Cranbrook. Hope that example helps

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
976 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Need Opinion

One last thing. Where are u staying in creston? Not many places there to choose from. See my reviews of the Bella vista B&B if u need somewhere to stay. There's also a ramada there now.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
976 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Need Opinion

One last thing. Where are u staying in creston? Not many places there to choose from. See my reviews of the Bella vista B&B if u need somewhere to stay. There's also a ramada there now.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
976 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Need Opinion

Quest, have you had your holiday yet? How did it go?

Reply to: Need Opinion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fernie