We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Which Mont Tremblant hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
628 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

We are driving from Rhode Island to Mont Tremblant, and staying for one week in a condo above the Pedestrian Village, Are we better off marketing in the Atwater Market outside of Montreal, or in St. Jovite? We will have a cooler in the car. The fromagerie and the prepared foods in Atwater sounded lovely. We will be cooking many of our meals, although not all, and we have our small son with us.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Check my recent posting Foodies in Food Heaven...

You can get most of your upscale products, including the best of Quebec's raw cheeses at Bourassa in the Saint-Jovite part of Mt-Tremblant. Then Metro supermarket is only a block away and more and cheaper options are available on the outskirt of town at IGA and Super C. No need to make a stop in Mtl unless you want to get specific cuts of meats, for which the butchers at Atwater are super.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

I saw your posting...Are the prices higher in MT than in the other outposts?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Atwater has more atmosphere and, in my view, more variety. If time permits, I would stop at Atwater just for the experience. You always will have the shops at St-Jovite for a very good back-up. While Bourassa, Metro and IGA are fine (and where I usually shop for convenience when I am at Tremblant), they aren't really special in location, decor, inventory or services. Basically, they are the same sort of stores you can find in and around most major cities.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Is there a place to eat lunch in Atwater? We could break up the trip North (We will probably travel halfway the night before, overnight in a hotel, then continue onward in the morning), giving my son a chance to stretch his legs, market, and eat in one stop, if possible.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Hi bawc,

Just to be clear... Atwater Market is IN Downtown Montreal... not outside of the city.

Check out their website = www.marchespublics-mtl.com/

So a stop here will cause you considerable delay on your trip to Mont-T.

I am a foodie, and fan of Atwater Market so I would say it is certainly worth a visit... but I envisioned doing it as a "stop" (overnight) so I am glad to see that is the way you are thinking also.

For info on where to eat in or around the Market (along with Hotel recommendations) I suggest that you check out the TA MONTREAL Pages and TRAVEL FORUM (as your Question is off-topic for this Forum), and you'll get a larger quanity of quality replies from Montreal Advisors.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Wow, I didn't realize it was in downtown Montreal. I don't think I want to deal with that traffic. I thought I read it was 200 meters off the highway on the way to MT. We are planning to stop before the Canadian border, at about the halfway point, then continue on in the morning. It is at least an 8 hour drive, and we can't even leave untill evening, but we thought it would be easier to break up the long drive with my son in the car. We love food, but it doesn't sound worth the delay with a child in tow, which means stopping in St. Jovite.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Hi Bawc,

You do realize... that you'll be literally driving thru a good portion of Montreal enroute to Mont Tremblant?

GOOGLE MAPS says the most direct route for you coming from Providence, Rhode Island is crossing into Canada via I-89 to Hwys 133 & 35... then Autoroute 10 onto the Island of Montreal... from there Autoroutes 15/20 northward until you exit Montreal on Autoroute 15 (the Laurentian Autoroute).

I suggest that you check out GOOGLE MAPS to become more familiar with the route.

Once across the Champlain Bridge on the 15/20 portion of the Autoroute you'll be passing very close to the Downtown sector of Montreal... Atwater tends to be regarded as the western milestone (check out GOOGLE MAPS) you'll see the "big bend" in the highway at that point, you'll be just about 1 Km from the Atwater Market site (not 200 metres)... you would use the Atwater Exit off of the Autoroute, pass thru the Atwater Tunnel (it goes under the Lachine Canal), and you'll be right there.

So it isn't that difficult to get to... BUT as I have said earlier... expect to spend a couple of hours enjoying this great spot:

Wikipedia - Atwater Market = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwater_Market

As a point of reference, you'd be looking at close to 6 Hours from Providence to Montreal's Atwater Market (not counting though for any time spent as a delay at the Border, or any traffic you may encounter... which is why timing your travels thru Montreal is imperative).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Atwater. Most certainly.

It is not downtown Montreal. It is right off of the 14 at the Atwater exit. Turn right off of the exit. Go under via duct. Takes you strait to it. 3 blocks off of the hwy.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

I understand my fellow Montreal's enthusiast about marche Atwater as i love that place too, but i am going to be the black sheep and advise you against it. The downtown stress (traffic on the highways, many one ways and difficulty getting back out on the highway) might not be worth it. I'd only go if you plan on visiting other aspects of Montreal.

You know there ARE alternatives to Atwater. While Montreal markets are the most famous there are some other wonderful ones along the way. Stop by --Marche Public 440-- in Laval, the subburb you will drive though just north of Montreal.. I promise it's pretty much the same size at Atwater and the people will be more friendly as it's more of a subburb area. Parking is also easier. The are area's indoors and outdoors to enjoy a picnic and a daycare (double check if this still is open) to leave your child at.

As far as bawc is concerned, it is downtown Montreal. We locals have more precise boundaries but the traffic and stress impact are relatively the same.

PS: I might have missed it, but when are you coming?

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Market in Atwater or St. Jovite

Thank you, that is most helpful I had looked at google maps, but since I am not familiar with the area, it didn't mean much to me. In Providence or Boston, that last thing you want to do is get off the highway going through the downtown, it is such a congested mess...Glad to hear access to Atwater is much easier. The distance is as I figured, so that it would be the midway point on the second stretch of driving.

Are there many delays crossing into Canada on a Saturday in March?

Is there a seating area in Atwater where we could eat some of the goodies we buy?

Get answers to your questions about Mont Tremblant