We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

Montreal
Level Contributor
719 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

I was thinking of taking my daughters (7 and 4) to Fairmont Tremblant on Nov 19th and would like to know if I should expect the kiddy runs to be open. This wold be their first time on skis.

Anyone know how I could find out?

Is there a better ski destination in the Laurentians for early season snow-making? Sauveur?

I wil try calling the hotel concierge.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

Definitely not. The mountain doesn't officially open until the 24th of November, and then only if there is natural snow or enough cold nights for them to make snow.

At the begnnning of the season the first run they usually open that is for noobs is the Petite Bonheur at the top of the hill.

As to earlier opening hills, maybe St Sauveur, but they too are at the mercy of the weather.

Just as an FYI for kids first time on skis, I taught little ones for a few winters and here are some tips.

1. DO not waste the cost of a lift ticket on total beginnier kids. THey will have a blast on the tapis magiques that most hills have. THough these do not open until xmas usually. Spending $80 on a parent ticket is way too much, let alone a further $80 for the two kids, plus rentals.

2. Take them to the tapis magique, do not put your own skis on, wear comfy boots that you can run in. Skis and ski boots will impede your abilty to teach them the very basics that they need to know.

3. The basics that they NEED to know are how to STOP and how to GO. Often named in the industry as "big pizza" and "little pizza". You can play games with these two basics for a good few hours. You will find yourself running after them, try standing in front of them and getting them to stop before they run into you.

4. This is where your skis will helps. Next basic skill to master before hitting the real hill. How to turn, think like an aeroplane, banking left and right with your "wings" in the air to change directions. left arm down turn to the left, right arm down turn to the right. Have them follow you down the gentle slope making big, wide turns.

5. They need to be very competent in all of the above before you even contemplate taking them on the big hill. I like to see them going up and down the tapis maqique with just supervision before I will take them on the hill. They need to have enough stamina to get down the big hill alone.

6. Try to resist the temptation to put them between your legs to ski, this teaches them bad habits and allows them to ski way faster than they should when just starting out. They need to learn control and how to be in control.

7. Put a helmet on them no matter what, falls happen a lot and head bonks are not good ever.

8. ON the big hill. Two kids is a lot to manage if you have never done it before, do contemplate taking a buddy with you. keeping the kids together is key, and at the same time watching for bigger folk who can plough into your kids at any moment. (This does happen and it is very scary) I usually ski down the hill facing backwards in a snow plough so the kids can follow me and so that I can see what they are doing. Big wide turns, playing choo choo train (with sound effects) keeps attention and shows them good basics whilst in control.

They should be able to stop on command, if they cannot they are not ready for the hill.

If you are not a strong skier I would invest on a couple of ski school hours.They are worth very penny.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 14:40
Montreal
Level Contributor
719 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

Thanks Bogwoppit.

BTW what are tapis magiques?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

Tapis magiques are magic carpets. A kid friendly way off going up a bunny hill. Some hills charge $5 for access, worth every penny. Kids love them and they are safe.

Here is a video of the Mont Orford one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXG4u4_aUM

Also beginners do not need poles for a long time, just another FYI.

Montreal
Level Contributor
719 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

I recall bunny hills having rope tow lifts. Is that still the case? I thought they might use the snow guns to get the bunny hills operational before the big hill, but I guess not...

Dont tell me the hills charge a full lift ticket for people who are using the bunny hill only?

Edited: 01 November 2011, 17:55
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

Most hills have got rid of the rope tows in favour of the tapis magiques. They are way safer. These bunny hills are very short and perfect for learners of all ages. Tremblant has two, one next to the Fairmont and the other next to the gondola.

They charge about $5 for the tapis magique, that's all. If you use the chair lifts or gondola you are charged the full lift ticket rates. Which is why learning on the TM is perfect for family fun. Usually two hours and the kids are done for the day.

I took mine on the TM for a few weeks in a row before we ventured onto a real hill, then it was a little, and cheap, hill like Mont Habitant. Spending big bucks on beginner skiing is not really big on my list of thigs to do. Short runs for short legs. Rentals are also cheaper at the little hills.

Last year Tremblant did use the snow guns to get the TM ready for the xmas season, we had little decent natural snow before then.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,050 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

St-Sauveur opened already so this would be an option.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

Jean PIerre, can you link the opening info for St Sau, that way the OP can see what his options are there. I looked online but can see the opening hours for this weekend.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

The hill won't be open until the end of the month at the earliest, and the forecast for the next two weeks is not condusive to serious snow making. You can always check the main tremblant website for updates on opening.....or look for yourself at the webcams link below

tremblant.ca/galleries/webcams/index-e.htm

Edited: 07 November 2011, 21:12
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

Tremblant say they will begin snowmaking on Friday night. I will keep watching for those white runs to appear on the mountain. There is a trace of snow in the forecast for the weekend, but it is no where near cold enough for stick and stay. 14c here today.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,050 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will there be skiing on Nov 19th?

http://www.montsaintsauveur.com/en/

Get answers to your questions about Mont Tremblant