We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Which Mont Tremblant hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Hi,

Can some one please give advice on route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in winter? I am choosing between 1) via ottawa; or 2) via Montreal.

I live in Toronto and am planning a skiing trip to Tremblant with few families during Xmas time. We will be driving mid-size SUVs and minivans with new all-season tires which was just installed in Sept. this year. We have kids and will have to stop every 2 to 3 hours on the way.

From google map, the route via Ottawa is shorter(51km in distance and 11 mins in time). But the road from Ottawa to Tremblant looks like poorly maintained country hwy to me. I have worry about their winter condition as well as the availability of service stations along the road, if there is any.

Should I take the route via Montreal instead? Or is there any other consideration I should put into? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Route through Montreal is all on major highways. Weather can be a big factor driving via Ottawa as you have noted, it is secondary roads.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
248 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

We take a ski trip to Mt. Tremblant from north of Toronto annually, and much prefer passing through Ottawa. Going to Montreal and taking the Autoroute up to Tremblant is a little longer, and while it is high speed highway all the way, I find the autoroute too busy and the drivers a little crazy trying to get to the slopes unless you are going mid week. Take 50 from Ottawa to Montebello then 323 up to Tremblant. Highway 50 is like the 401, and they have made major improvements to 323 over the past couple of years and it's a quicker drive. There are not as many service stations enroute, but just don't push empty. And yes, winter only gets harsher further north of Ottawa or Montreal...if you are going that way you can't escape it.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Thanks, gxp.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Ironwoodtrail,

May I ask for more details? Is QC-323 getting plowed in good frequency? How did you get to Ottawa? Hwy 401 or Hwy 7? When would you typically set off from home and when would you arrived Tremblant?

Many thanks!

Edited: 28 October 2012, 23:02
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
248 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

pasuinthesky...we are in the Barrie area and take Hwy 7 to Ottawa. Have taken the 401, but prefer 7 even though it's a little slower. It is a 7 hr drive to Tremblant for us. I have no idea how often QC-323 is plowed, but we've gone in storms and the road has been in good shape. We drive on snows in winter which is recommended for a trip to Tremblant, but on new all weathers you would be ok in most conditions except a major winter storm. The Autoroute with heavier traffic may be better plowed, but it can often be a harrowing drive in heavy traffic. Driving 323 in winter is like going up to Collingwood from the city in winter conditions....just drive carefully and you will be ok.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Thank you very much, Ironwoodtrail.

Now I get it. Driving to Collingwood is perfectly OK for me. :-)

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Hmmm, I did the Burlington, Ottawa, Lachute, Montreal trek in September and found that going along the 401 up the 416 to Ottawa and along the Ottawa on the south side through Hawkesbury to the Laurntian Autoroute 15 was quite quick and easy. I avoided the Montreal traffic.The new highway linking Hawksbury to the 15 was great. The only draw back as mentioned is the lack of service stations so fill up in Hawkesbury and you'll be fine. If you have a GPS use that also.

If you use Google maps you'll see the routing quite well. Oh the plowing is usually quite good also. Do you have snow tires?

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

Thank you, Chrisky. Some of us use snow tires and some have new 4season tires. As long as plowng is good it should be OK.

9. Re: Route selection from Toronto to Tremblant in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Mont Tremblant