We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused by all the lodging possibilities!

Which Mont Tremblant hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
confused by all the lodging possibilities!

My family and I are planning a vacation to Mt. Tremblant Feb 18-22 and are very confused about where to stay. We haven't been able to find anyone to ask, except the resort and they of course want us to stay in the resort. So, given the following, we would very much appreciate any suggestions,

There will be my wife and I and our two teenage kids. My wife doesn't ski. One day I will ski with both kids and another day my son and I will ski and my wife and daughter won't. They skate and x-c ski. When we all ski my wife will want to lounge, read and shop/explore. We will have one car, so when we are split up we'll need transportation by foot, car or public trans. We are on a budget and also want an "authentic" experience and have been told that the resort village is somewhat Disney-like. We can swing a resort hotel (suite w/kitchen) on our budget, but concern is that restaurants and shops are all very expensive in the resort. And all very "corporate?"

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'll check back frequently in case there are questions or clarifications from me. We have to reserve our accommodations by Tues. Dec. 4.

Thank you!!!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

The resort is sometimes referred to as Disney like by the locals. It is pretty and a bit contrived. But as most of the stores and restos are privately owned they do not feel corporate. Hotels chains feel like hotel chains and the resort owned hotels, there are a few, just feel like hotels.

Food at the mountain is not really any more pricey than in St Jovite, the nearest town to Tremblant, just very convenient as it is on your doorstep.

Any condo at the resort is convenient for the resort, even the bargain La Chouette.

IN ST Jovite, ten minute drive away, there is one cheaper hotel. The comfort Inn and suites. You can walk to some stores and restos from there and the bus to the mountain stops at the end of the driveway. $2 per trip. This could be a good budget alternative, but it would mean you might miss out on some of the free fun at the resort.

It really all is a balance. I am not sure where you are coming from. Europeans find Tremblant cheaper and USA visitors find Tremblant pricey, only you know which you are.

My way of make a trip more affordable is to spend less on food and more on location. Get a resort condo with a good kitchen and shop in ST Jovit3e on the way in. Eat breakfast and lunch in the condo, you can pack a lunch and eat it in the chalet at the top of the mountain. GO out for dinner, but just have the main course and buy dessert and drinks to enjoy in the condo. I also find buying snacks and drinks on the go is what adds up very quickly, take those along when you ski and you save a bundle. A simple lunch at the summit can easily cost $15 a person for nothing special. You could pack a thermos of hot soup and sandwiches for four for under $15.

There is skating at the mountain for free, and a great rink in the old Tremblant village (ten mins by car) on Lac Moore, lit up with music. A great place for a family night out for free. Great X-country skiing at the Domaine St Bernard, they have amazing trails and a lovely chalet with a fireplace and you can eat your packed lunch too.

SO pack some Ziploc bags and a small backpack and you should be good to go.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

Thank you Bogwoppit for your quick and great reply. We're coming by car from western NY state. I think we have decided to stay at the Homewood Suites in a studio instead of 1 br since we'll only be there 4 days and not spending a lot of time in the room anyway. They include breakfast and a light supper all the days we'll be there so we figured we'd more than make up the extra on meals and go out for desserts. We can eat a lunch or two out for much less than dinner. There's a full kitchen to make "supplementary" meals. Also seems close enough to the lifts that we can all meet up for lunch. My wife can use the car during the day to explore if she wants. Does this make sense? Thanks so much for your help.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

It's a great choice. Tale advantage of the included breakfast. Bring it back to the room to enjoy too. It is a great location on the hill.

Your hotel is a great choice and a good location on the resort. Your wife can definitely explore from that location.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

Thank you for advice! Looking forward to our first trip.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

gfroch,

We are considering a trip to Mt Tremblant too. How did you like the Homewood Suites? Is it close to the Pedestrian village and convenient to the skiing? Also, did you buy via a ski package or did you buy everything separately, i.e. lift tickets, rentals, etc? I went to the www.tremblant.ca website and wondering if it'll be cheaper to do that way. It doesn't break out costs.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

The Homewood suites is right at the resort, it is part of the pedestrian village and is right at the slopes, in fact some windows look out onto the ski runs. It is a good quality hotel and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Cannot really help with the package advice. Perhaps price things separately and compare?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

Ok thanks. Yes, I'm going to read some of the other posts to get a good idea.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

Hi Eugenius20-

As noted above, we're not going until Feb. 18-22 so can't comment on the hotel yet. By the looks of the maps, etc. (and Bogwoppit's suggestion!) we expect it to be the right place for us. We purchased our hotel and tickets in a promotion that was up in early Dec. We have our own gear, so no rentals. Some hotels give a discount by buying through the resort, because they seem to be owned by the resort, but the Homewood isn't, so doesn't...?!? Sound confusing? It is! I really had to do a lot of research. Good luck!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

gfroch2, it IS confusing, but perhaps I can shed a little light on the situation for you and for others.

First, the resort does not own the hotels or condos. They are privately owned by individuals. This means that each unit in a hotel or condo building has an individual owner or owners. Branded hotels like the Fairmont, Le Westin, Hilton Homewood Suites, Residence Inn, and the others (including Quintessence) are essentially hotel rooms, suites or apartments owned in condominium and managed under contract between the condo associations (representing the individual unit owners) and a hotel chain or a management company. You can buy a hotel room, a suite or an apartment in any of the lodging buildings in the resort.

In the all-pedestrian resort village, the most visible lodging properties carry hotel brands. Brands on these properties can and do change. What is now Hilton Homewood Suites once was managed under a different brand; what was once the Le Kandahar building was marketed for a few years under the Country Inns and Suites by Carlson brand and has now reverted to Le Kandahar.

Residence Inn has the distinctive architecture of that brand, but each unit is still owned by individuals. The remaining lodging properties in the village, on the mountain and the golf courses are part of the Tremblant resort but are not presently managed by major hotel chains. Instead, these properties have distinct names, such as Sommet des Neiges, Ermitage du Lac, Les Manoirs, Le Plateau, L’Equinoxe, Le Kandahar, etc. and typically are

managed by resort management companies. Sunstar and Les Suites Tremblant are the two largest; there are smaller ones as well and some owners also manage their own unit rentals.

The official resort website (www.tremblant.ca) is a central booking facility to market the resort. The hotels and management companies generally participate, share marketing data, etc. They also advertise under their own names, with coordination re pricing. Worth noting that prices reflect supply and demand and that amenities and promotional discounts vary by property.

Finally, you will hear the name “Intrawest”, which is a large resort developer/operator. Tremblant dates to 1939, but Intrawest did not buy the resort property until the early 1990s. Intrawest then made a major investment in planning and developing the village concept, the mountain and golf course condos, vastly expanding and upgrading ski lifts and runs, all of the infrastructure, golf courses, retail commercial development, etc. The Intrawest business model was to design the properties and not break ground until at least 50% of the units had been pre-sold.

Long explanation, but I hope that it helps.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 19:10
Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: confused by all the lodging possibilities!

gfroch2, it IS confusing, but let me shed a little light on the situation. First, the resort does not own the hotels or condos. They are privately owned by individuals. With few exceptions, that means that each unit in a hotel or condo building has an individual owner or owners.

Branded hotels like the Westin, Hilton Homewood Suites, etc. are essentially condos marketed and managed by the hotel chain. The condo association decides--by vote of the owners they represent--which brand to use. What is now Hilton Homewood Suites once was managed under a different brand.

Lodging properties at Tremblant available for rental (some are used exclusively by their owners and are not rented) are managed by several different companies. Sunstar and Les Suites Tremblant are two of the largest. fit iunder the branded hotels was developed by Intrawest, a large resort developer/operator. Tremblant dates to 1939, but Intrawest did not buy the resort property until the early 1990s. Intrawest made a major investment in planning and developing the village concept, the mountain condos, the vast improvement in ski lifts and runs, all of the infrastructure, golf courses, etc. Intrawest, however, does not own the hotels or the condos. did the village concept and most of the architecture The hotels and condos in the resort

Get answers to your questions about Mont Tremblant