We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Which Mont Tremblant hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Does anyone have any insight on the drive and roads from Montreal to Mont Tremblant? Planning on making the trip in February for a ski trip and was worried about driving up in a non AWD (4 wheel drive) car.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

The easiest way is to take the HWY 15 north and follow it until you reach the exit for Mont Tremblant. This will take about 90 minutes on a clear and dry day.

The highway is well looked after, BUT if there is a snowstorm I suggest you delay the drive as it is a tough winter drive. I assume you have winter tires?

Black ice can be an issue, so do drive more cautiously than normally.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 16:32
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,815 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Yup 4 wheel drives can make for a false sense of safety, particular with black ice. It is much better to have car equipped with fairly new winter tires than have a 4x with lousy tires.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Just to give you a little more confidence about the highway, Autoroute 15 is comparable to the interstate highways in the US. It is not a twisting and narrow mountain road. In my 15-years of experience going to Mont Tremblant, I think that Quebec Province does a better job of keeping 15 and other roads free of snow and ice than Michgan, Ohio or Indiana. Quebec seems to be better prepared and to have better equipment.

FYI. Autoroute 15 ends about 20 minutes south of Mont Tremblant--around the exits for a city called Ste-Agathe--and merges with Route 117. You scarcely will notice any difference, other than that 117 has grade-level intersections instead of limited access exits and entrance ramps. It is not a difficult or stressful drive unless traffic is extremely heavy. Do take bogwoppit's advice about driving in or immediately after a snowstorm and, of course, where black ice is an issue.

Snow tires, by the way, are required of all vehicles licensed in Quebec but not for others. I do not have them, but then again my vehicles are always AWD.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 19:02
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Thanks for the comments. We are renting a car from YUL (Montreal) Airport, but they could not guarantee AWD. I assume winter tires will be included since it is a government mandate.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Ah good, yes your rental will have winter tires. Better than AWD in snow, but do drive with caution, snow tires help a lot, but in deep slushy snow staying put is key.

As you are driving from the airport, which is to the west of Montreal the directions are a little different.

When you leave the airport you will head towards the HWY 20 Est. Follow this until you see the signs for HWY 13 you will see Mirabel and a plane on the signs. Take this exit and merge onto the highway. Very, very sharp bends on the merge, drive slowly. Driving north on the HWY 13 you will eventually see signs for the HWY 640 est, take the exit and merge onto the highway. You will be on this for a short time before you see the exit for the HWY 15 Nord, St Jerome and Mont Tremblant. Take this exit and make sure you go nord and not sud. Merge onto HWY 15 nord and then follow the previous posts directions.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 19:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

We are coming up to Mont Tremblant over US Presidents weekend and we have all weather tires AWD SUV, please tell me we will be ok with this

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Keep an eye on the weather, if there is a snowstorm then delay your trip or come earlier.

If roads are icy or snow covered drive much more slowly, do not allow yourself to get lulled into thinking the AWD will help if you drive too fast, it won't. AWD will help you get going on slippy surfaces or help get you out of deep snow. Most of the accidents I see here involve SUV drivers going too fast and ending up in a ditch.

Legally in Quebec residents are required to have winter tires installed, this is not the case for tourists. Remember summer tires are much harder rubber, therefore less contact with the road when they get cold and therefore less grip, longer stopping distance etc etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

Thank you

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

A few years ago when I had an all wheel drive SUV with all seasons, I drove to Tremblant through Ottawa 4/5 years consecutive in all weather conditions without issues....but as bogwoppit suggests, you have to be careful in storms or if the roads ice up. Just drive for the conditions and you will be fine. Winter or snow tires are better and mandatory in winter in La Belle Province! I now drive a car for better mileage and put four snow tires on in winter.

South Salem, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant

I would add for those folks coming up from New York..... the same comments regarding driving in snow about the Interstate from Albany to the border. It is nice drive when the road is dry but I would avoid it during the snow. There are about 75 miles south of Plattsburgh that have limited services and cell phone coverage. This is not the place I would want to be stuck on a cold night.

Get answers to your questions about Mont Tremblant