We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

Hi ... we're flying into Halifax and then driving to the Lunenburg area for a one-week stay in a rental cottage. We'll want to stock up on wine, good cheese, seafood and other grocery items and are looking for a good grocery store. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Halifax
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

I'd recommend making a stop at the Sunnyside Mall in Bedford. You'll go past Bedford on your way from the airport to Lunenburg, around 20 minutes after you leave the airport. Sunnyside Mall is on the Bedford Highway and you cna probably Mapquest it to be completely sure what exit to take, but it's not difficult. At Sunnyside Mall, go to Pete's Frootique and his wine store right next door. Pete's has nice cheeses, a British butcher for meats, seafood, nice bakery bread and croissants, fruit, vegetables and some general grocery items like specialty cereals. If there are still things you need (Cheerios, laundry powder, sunscreen, etc.), go to the major grocery store across the street (Atlantic Superstore).

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

This is so helpful! Thanks for the speedy reply.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

Hello "

If you happen to forget anything you will pass Upper Tantallon, what we refer to as exit 5 off the #103 hwy from Halifax to the South Shore and the hwy you will connect to to head to Lunenburg , you'll find Sobeys and an adjoined liquor store. This is the last stop via the #103 hwy before you arrive in Lunenburg for such variety of goods. Sunnyside in Bedford is a great idea but you have this option as well just so you know.

Happy travels,

blondie *

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

Thanks for the ongoing advice, Blondie! You had recommended two day spas last week. I will surely think of more questions before our trip in late August, so I doubt you've heard the last of me ...

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

Hi,

During your week at Lunenburg, you might want to take a day trip to the Annapolis Valley (aprox 1 hr drive across Rte 12 or 14).

There's 4 local wineries in the Wolfville region that have produced award winning wines. The 2 following ones are within 15 min drive of each other. www.grandprewines.com

www.gaspereauwine.com

There is also Fox Hill Cheese House where all the cheese is made strictly from their own herd of cattle. They also make all natural yogurt.

www.foxhillcheesehouse.com

If you visited Wolfville on a Saturday, you could experience the Farmer's Market until 1 pm. You'll find a variety of items & most of the produce is organic. Wolfville has been named the first "Fair Trade Town" in Canada.

Just some information for you. I don't believe these local wines are sold in the liquor stores.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

Great tips! Thanks, Fundy Girl!

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
802 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

There are also 2 food stores right in Lunenburg. Foodland is on Montague Street in Old Town, and Save-Easy a much larger store, with a large liquor store in it is in new town. There's also a great farmer's market in Lunenburg on Thursdays between 8 and 12 where you can get great local produce, meats, breads, seafood, Fox Hill cheese, and beautiful flowers for your table.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

I LOVE farmers markets and will absolutely go to the one in Lunenburg on Thursday. Thanks for the great tip!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

Hi Sailorgirl,

I didn't realize that there was a Farmer's Market in Lunenburg on Thursdays. That's great to know. Where is it located?

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gourmet grocery store in or b/w Halifax and Lunenburg?

That's on Lincoln Street in the Lunenburg Day Care Center Parking Lot adjacent to both the Knot Pub and the Bluenose Lodge.

Sort of where New Town meets Old Town. A very nicely done transition from parking lot to market space on days of operation.

Try to drop by sometime.

blondie**