We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobstermen tours?

Which Lunenburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ayer, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lobstermen tours?

I'm spending a day in Lunenburg later this month (June 23). In addition to visiting the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic, I'm considering taking a tour with Lobstermen Tours (http://www.lobstermentours.com). The tours look a little hokey, but could be fun. Any experiences or comments about this tour would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobstermen tours?

The Lobstermen Tour is not hokey at all. In fact, it's very interesting and educational. Barry is a lobsterman himself in season (which just ended at the end of May), so he definately knows what he's talking about. Peter Jennings took this tour a few years back when he visited Lunenburg and raved about it.

To give yourself a real good overview of the town and its history I would also highly recommend the Lunenburg Town Walking tour led by Eric Croft, a born and bred Lunenburger and the only certified tour guide in Nova Scotia. It's about an hour and a half, and runs at various times throughout the day, including a candlelit tour in the evening. It leaves from a sandwich board on the waterfront, right below the Grand Banker restaurant and across the street from the parking lot at the museum.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there is a very close relationship between Lunenburg and Gloucester MA as a result of the fishing industry and every year there are international dory races on the Lunenburg waterfront to celebrate that relationship. Also, every year the city of Halifax gives Boston a Christmas tree (I believe that sits in the Boston Commons) to thank them for their aid and assistance during the Halifax Explosion in 1917.

Ayer, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobstermen tours?

Thanks Sailorgirl2001. I was not trying to disparage the Lobstermen Tours. Personally, I like hokey. I'm into visiting roadside attractions and doing activities that capture the culture and flavor of the region I'm visiting.

I saw the stellar review on the Lobstermen Tours Website from Peter Jennings, but knowing how quickly a business can change in one or two years, I was hoping to get more recent comments on them. As both a well-seasoned traveller and a knowledgeable local person, I respect your opinion and I'll go ahead and reserve a spot.

Thanks also for the info on the Lunenburg Walking Tours run by Eric Croft. As noted on other posts, Eric does not have any 2008 dates posted on his Web site and I was not certain he was still in operation. I've sent him E-mail about the possibility of a tour on June 23.

I knew about the story behind the Christmas tree donated by Halifax every year, but not about any connection between Lunenburg and Gloucester. Thanks again.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobstermen tours?

Eric is not real good at answering e-mails either I'm afraid (really not much of a businessman), but he does give a heck of a tour!! You won't be disappointed. Once you get into town, just have your innkeeper give him a call to find out what times his tours are for the day, or check out his sandwichboard on the waterfront....which he does update everyday. Enjoy your visit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobstermen tours?

We just took the 45-minute tour a week ago. we have young children (under 9) and that length of tour was perfect for them.

If you're thinking, but you'd practically just get in the boat before it's time to get out, yes, that's what it will feel like to an adult. There is a 2-hour tour that includes looking for seals, etc, for older or more patient tourists.

However, we still saw a lot. The tour leader told us the types of fishing vessels we were passing as we toured Lunenburg Harbour. Then they pulled 3 lobster traps, of different types, near the mouth of the harbour. They brought the catch on board, and banded the claws so we could handle them safely. My children got a kick out of holding lobsters. (They could at the grocery store, I know, but it's different on a boat!)

The guide also had quite a few interesting laminated photos to show while explaining various things. They helped fill in any slow parts of the ride.

They had lifejackets for the children to wear, and lots of the "horse collar" shaped life jackets overhead for adults.

No one needed a washroom, so I have no idea what the washroom looks like.

We would go again on the longer tour when the children are older.

5. Re: Lobstermen tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Lunenburg