We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

I have a gift certificate for $20.

Our intention was to go to Fleur de Sel this Saturday night, where we had a great meal a couple of years ago, but they are evidently booked for a private function. So I made reservations there for Sunday brunch instead.

I expect the Dockside is a whole 'nother type of place than FDS, which is fine, but I'm wondering if it's a good place for supper or if we should try somewhere else. Doesn't have to be fancy, but if it's not good then I would rather go to a different spot.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

Hi Mooma "

The Dockside was good last time I was there for a special occasion dinner but that was quite sometime ago and I haven't been there since unfortunately.

Hopefully someone local or otherwise might have a more up to date opinion for you,

best wishes,

blondie **

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

The Dockside is fine if you like fried food. The only thing I ever eat there is their fried clams, while sitting on their outside deck once in the summer.

Quite honestly, I haven't heard many rave reviews about the place, and I do know a number of people who have gotten sick after eating there. I'd probably go for lunch instead of dinner just to use up the gift certificate.

If you're looking for casual, I would highly recommend the Knot Pub....it's where all the locals go to eat. Great mussel soup and chowder, yummy fish cakes and pan fried haddock. Their greek and caesar salads are meals unto themselves. But do save room for thei brownie topped with whipped cream and ice cream for dessert.

Have you been to Trattoria della Nonna yet? Personally, I think it's much better than Fleur de Sel. The food is excellent and the service is first rate. Open for lunch, dinner and brunch.

Another place worth checking out is Tin Fish, the restaurant in the Lunenburg Arms Hotel. It's under new management with a new chef since the beginning of the year. I ate there with 5 friends at the beginning of the season and everyone loved their choices, from appetizer to dessert. The decor is a bit "bright" and different.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

Mostly fried food now is it ?

I remember we have the special which was chicken caccitorie ( spelling ?) but as I said that was sometime ago, maybe 4 years.

Come to think of it I don't hear much if any positive comments on this eaterie. Like a few others on Lunenburg's waterfront they have decks overlooking the harbour but the food is not up to par, not even close. I always said and still believe that Lunenburg is a place that disappoints for seafood unlike what you would expect from an old fishing town, too much fried food which isn't the best way to prepare fresh fish and then you have the dreaded french fry as a side most usually. yuk !

I have much better luck with dining options elsewhere.

Thankfully a few new restaurants have opened in Old Town in the past few years, Della Nonna, Salt Shaker etc as many of the harbourview restaurants relied on their view and did not serve memorable meals by any means

blondie **

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

should have proof read that before hitting the post.

we had..

very poor english. lol, sorry...

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

Thanks again...the gift certificate doesn't expire so I think I'll hang onto it until sometime when we expect to be around for lunch. We may be going to a friend's house for supper as it turns out, but I'll keep these suggestions in mind if that falls through.

6. Re: How is the food at the Dockside restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 12:17