We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last few days of trip

Greenland, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
last few days of trip

We have a good itinerary set up for our 2 weeks in NS. Just sorting out the last few days. Leave Halifax on a Wed morning heading thru Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, before spending Wednesday night in Lunenburg. Friday night we will be in Yarmouth ready for picking up the ferry to Portland Saturday am. Question concerns how to spend Thursday, Thursday night and Friday. Will we get in enough Lunenburg the end of the day Wed, or do we really need most of Thursday? If so, that might mean a 2nd night (Thursday) in Lunenburg and then go directly to Yarmouth on Friday. 2nd option - Thursday night in Lunenburg, drive to Annapolis Royal Friday and on to Yarmouth for Friday night. 3rd option_see Lunenburg part of Thursday, drive to Annapolis Royal lateThursday, spend the night, then on to Yarmouth late Friday. Reason for Annapolis Royal is the gardens. Have visited Butchcart Gardens in Vancover - spectacular, maybe that is a good point to stop garden visiting. There is the possibility we might have visited Victoria Park in Truro or the public gardens in Halifax, no definite plans. Mainly trying to figure out if there is time to visit Annapolis Royal without pushing ourselves these last few days. We will have done lots of touring at that point having come in to NS via Amherst.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,231 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last few days of trip

Tough call ... I enjoy driving the coast road from Lunenburg to Le Have, taking the little ferry across (stop at the bakery there for a treat) and then along towards Petite Riviere and beyond... great beaches along there. Not as busy as other areas.

The gardens at Annapolis Royal are lovely and somewhat more low-key compared to the Butchart, which to me are UBER - gardens, with too much tacky tourist stuff added on and too many crowds, so I don't even bother going anymore when I'm in Victoria.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last few days of trip

I would think the third option is a good compromise. The gardens in Annapolis Royal are famous for their roses. You may want to check when they start blooming by signing up for their bloom report: www.historicgardens.com/explore_bloom.php

For Lunenburg I would recommend seeing the Fisheries Museum and walking the old central part of town. You should be able to pick up a brochure with a walking tour pointing out the many old wooden buildings and their architectural features. Of course you will find interesting art galleries and craft shops along the way.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last few days of trip

One day should be enough time to spend in Lunenburg unless you wanted to take another day just to explore the surrounding seaside area. Annapolis Royal is a lovely small historic town; beautiful gardens (but not Butchart Gardens as they are in a league all on their own.)

If you stayed there Thurs night, then it would be a leisurely drive Friday on Rte 1 along the Acadian Shore to Yarmouth. www.yarmouthandacadianshores.com

The other option for Thursday would be to continue along the Atlantic Coast perhaps to the Liverpool area & stay a night there. However, unless you get directions to the side roads, it will be non-scenic highway driving except for a stretch between Liverpool & Shelburne.

Here's one suggestion for a nice accommodation: www.whitepoint.com

As you have noted, you will have done a lot of touring by the time you reach Lunenburg; so you might want to wait until later on into your trip before you make a decision about that last Thurs night.

4. Re: last few days of trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2017, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Lunenburg