We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

Myself and my husband have been trying the phoneline to book the bus ALL DAY today and it has been permanently engaged from 8AM until 4PM!

On the odd occasion we did get through to the menu system it said to press option '4' for 'Lake O'Hara reservations'. We did this and never got through to anyone, it must have cost us a fortune! As soon as we pressed option '4' a message stated 'one moment please, the person you have called is not available' and sent us back to the menu system. At no point did it say that we were on hold or in any kind of queue. I kept pressing option 4, but I have no idea whether I would have ever got through to anyone!

Does anyone have any first hand experience of actually making a booking? Will I get through eventually if I keep choosing option 4 from the menu?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,033 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

Hi;

Just to confirm…the telephone number you are dialing for the bus is 250-343-6433.

If that is the number you’re trying, perhaps they are having trouble with their telephone system.

Here is the Park’s complete contact info;

Yoho National Park of Canada

P.O. Box 99

Field, B.C.

Canada

V0A 1G0

Phone:

250-343-6783

TTY:

1-866-787-6221

Fax:

Email:

yoho.info@pc.gc.ca

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

Since the Lake O'Hara booking line opened today for the season, they were likely busier than normal with people trying to make reservations for all the operating days in June--not just for one day.

What dates are you trying to book for?

In the past, I have been successful getting through, although I don't recall being put back into the menu system after selecting the booking option.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

I was phoning 250-343-6433 and allowed for the time difference. It was their first day of opening so I expect that was why it was so busy. It was the menu system that confused me, I did not know whether to hang and and try again or hang on because I had got that far!

I am trying to book for one day only on june 29th or june 30th or july 2nd or 3rd.

Will try again today and see how I get on. Might try the Yoho NP number too, to check all is OK with reservation line. I have my heart set on going to Lake O'Hara!

Thanks for your help

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

It sounds like you're doing everything right; hopefully you'll have better luck today.

If you do get through to the menu system, I'd suggest that you keep trying the booking option (option 4 as you say) until getting through to someone. When you've gotten that far, you're closer than all the people that are still getting a busy signal. Although this could be pricey calling from overseas!

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

Just to let everyone knwo that I managed to get through today after three hours of trying. I actually spoke to someone who siad that the phone system was in a complete mess and asked me to phone the Yoho NP phoneline and I got through very quickly and it's all done and dusted. I'm so excited, it was worth the stress!!!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,033 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

Hi;

Glad to hear that it all worked out.

Have a great time !

Best Regards

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

O'Hara is worth every frustration. Have you selected your hikes yet??

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

We are only going in for one day on 29th june. Ideally would like to do the Alpine circuit, but obviously that will depend on the weather. Lake oesa and Lake McAthur are also on the list, or maybe bits of the alpine circiut. Will we need any special equipment at this time of year?

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

No special equipment -- but it is not likely that the alpine circuit will be open all the way. In fact, if I was a betting man, I would guess that on that day it's more likely to all be closed than open.

Keep checking the website for the latest conditions -- and the Ranger who will put you on the bus will tell you what is doable.

10. Re: Lake O'Hara phone line frustration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 14:20