We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

Which Field hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

Looking to spend a week hiking in the Yoho and Lake Louise area July 09. Questions:

1. Is the view of the mountains better in a campground at Yoho or LL?

2. In Yoho, what is the difference between Kicking Horse and Monarch campgrounds?

3. Which campground is more recommended in the LL area?

4. I believe there is an electric fence around a campground at LL. Are there electric fences also at Yoho campgrounds?

5. Can I reserve a campground 90 days in advance like the bus ride to OHara, or is a campground first come first serve?

6. Where does the Ohara bus pick up people at?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

1. Any campgrounds in the Rockies are likely to give you breathtaking views of the mountains, IMO

2. Kicking Horse CG has about 90 unserviced sites. This means no power, no running water and no sewer connections at any of the sites. Reservations are not accepted. There are public washrooms with showers available. Monarch is smaller, has the same services except no showers. It is situated in a meadow area.

3. I would lean toward Protection Mountain CG, about 8 miles east of LL on the #1A (Bow Valley Parkway) because of its location. It is also unserviced. Or Mosquito Creek, about 15 miles north of LL on the Icefields Parkway. But the CG's you have asked about in Yoho are certainly as close to LL as the ones I have suggested so they could equally be considered to be "in the LL area."

FYI the 3 campgrounds along the Bow Valley Parkway tend to be the last to fill up daily, just because they are a little off the main route.

4. There is an electric fence around the tent-only portion of the LL campground. To my knowledge, it is the only campground in the park that is fenced. It is also IMO the least desirable of all campgrounds in Banff NP, due to its close proximity to the rail lines.

5. The campgrounds in the national parks do not take reservations.

6. There is a parking lot just off the #1 highway east of West Louise Lodge, on the south side of the road where you park your vehicle and meet up with the bus.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

5. Reservations are taken for *some* campgrounds in the national parks - in Banff NP, the Lake Louise and Tunnel Mountain CGs, and none in Yoho. See http://www.pccamping.ca/parkscanada/

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

Thanks for the quick replies. Okay, here are a few more:

1. Once we settle in, what is the least amount of driving? e.g., staying in Yoho and traveling back and forth to Lake Louise for the day, or staying in LL and driving back and forth to Yoho? Meaning, which has the heavier traffic in the morning - going east or going west?

2. Does the Ohara bus pick up people at any campground in Yoho?

3. Which direction is more scenic when hiking Iceline and Whaleback - clockwise or counterclockwise?

4. How far in driving time is Wapta Falls from Emerald Lake?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

1. In terms of which direction has heavier traffic, I think the traffic will be equally as heavy in either direction. One thing worth considering is that if you travel from LL to Yoho, the sun will be behind you in both directions. I assume if you are hiking you will be on the road early in the day and it might be more enjoyable to not be driving into the rising and setting sun every day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

The Club Tread site is more specific to hiking -- you might also find it helpful

http://www.clubtread.com/Routes/

6. Re: campgrounds in Yoho and Lake Louise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 01:19