We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

august vacation

Which Field hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blair
6 posts
Save Topic
august vacation

My husband and I are planning a trip in August. We are planning to stay 7 nights and explore the surrounding area. Initially, we thought about staying in a different location each night but more recently thought that we should stay all 7 nights in Field because of it's location. My only concern is the distanct to Jasper. I know that we want to spend significant time on the Icefields Parkway. Are we too far away to enjoy day trips there? We are planning to go through Kootenay and Yoho parks as well. I would also like more information on Mt Revelstoke and Glacier. Are they worth going to?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,920 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: august vacation

Field is a very tiny village - population about 300, and only one restaurant in town, and another at nearby Emerald Lake Lodge. It works best, imo, as a base for serious hikers (people who want to hike, eat and sleep), because of the proximity to Lake Louise, Lake O'Hara and Yoho NP hiking. That's not to say it wouldn't be a good base for just general sightseeing... but you need to be aware of what is there in the way of tourism amenities (dining, shopping etc.) ... which isn't much. If you want access to shopping, nightlife, restaurants, you probably would be better to stay in Banff or Canmore. Lake Louise has more amenities than Field, but is also small, and with limited accommodation, it is more expensive than the larger towns.

Getting to the town of Jasper is do-able as a day trip from Banff or Yoho National Parks, but it is not ideal. It would be approx. six hours of driving, round trip. Normally we recommend that people plan to take the whole day just for one way, because there are so many scenic look-outs, waterfalls, glacial lakes etc. You may want to consider only going as far as the Columbia Icefields and then turning around (or maybe Tangle Falls, 10 km further north) - this would knock off two hours of driving and you would still see much of the gorgeous scenery along the parkway. But if you want to sightsee in Jasper NP other than the parkway (Mt. Edith Cavell, the Maligne valley, Jasper Tramway, Miette Hot Springs etc.), you need to stay in Jasper for a day or two... Field is just too far away (as are Banff, Lake Louise and Canmore).

All the national parks are beautiful and worth going to... having only 7 days, though, means you need to set priorities.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: august vacation

ditto to the above post. to really see all of what the area has to offer i would pick at least 2 locations, with the last location closest to the airport you are flying from or home if you are driving.... otherwise you will be doing a lot of driving. The icefields parkway is beautiful but who wants to be in the car when you are in the Rockies!

I would consider staying in jasper for 3 nights and banff/LL for 4. i have also stayed in castle junction rather than banff proper. canmore ok too but you have a bit of extra driving off the parkway but nothing unreasonable and groceries etc. are very accessible in canmore (my how that town has grown!)

All the national parks in that area are spectacular

you can also do 3 jasper, one in the middle, 3 banff/LL

i've never stayed in one place for a whole week when up there....

3. Re: august vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2011, 05:15