We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

classic abbot pass photo

Pompton Plains, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
classic abbot pass photo

I'm going to be in Yoho for 3 days. Does anyone know where that classic photo on the sentinel was taken?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: classic abbot pass photo

Do you have a link to this photo? It is like this one? …blogspot.ca/2011_01_01_archive.html

Abbott Pass is usually accessed from Lake O'Hara; there is an Alpine Club of Canada hut there. From what I have heard and read, it is considered an easy to moderate scramble, not a hike, and because of rockfall in the gully on the way up to the hut, a mountaineering helmet is recommended. You can read about how to get in to Lake O'Hara on this page on the Yoho National Park website: www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/activ/ohara/a.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Pompton Plains, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: classic abbot pass photo

It's the 8th picture down on your Zizka link. As far as you know, is it up by the hut? I'm going to be camping in Lake O'hara. Do you know how long of a hike it would be to that point from the campground? day hike?

Thanks for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,579 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: classic abbot pass photo

You might want to also consult the Club Tread community - more in the way of hikers and backpackers on that forum:

http://www.clubtread.com/

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: classic abbot pass photo

As far as I know, it is up by the hut, but I don't know if it is above the hut (which is into climbing/mountaineering territory) or if it is in the pass near the hut. I have never hiked to the pass, nor am ever likely to (it's beyond my comfort level), but I have seen a friend's (many) photos of her trek up there, and have read about it online and in guidebooks etc.

Are you an experienced hiker? Are you really fit? Are you familiar with the differences between on-trail hiking, and scrambling?

For information on getting to the pass, you might want to check the topo map for the area:

atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

Pompton Plains, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: classic abbot pass photo

I saw some additional pictures online & it seems, just like you said, to be in the pass as you scramble up to the hut.

Pompton Plains, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: classic abbot pass photo

Does anyone know if Abbot Pass hut is a doable dayhike from the Lake O'hara campsite?

7. Re: classic abbot pass photo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Field