We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going Victoria to Bella Coola

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Going Victoria to Bella Coola

I met a nice person - Mingo - from Victoria, on my last trip to BC, but unfortunaly her mail is not working, and I cant get to her and her suggestions

But she told me to go BellaBella and Bella Coola. So I plan to go from Victoria and take bus?, ship, ...to go slow and have a lot of experience on the way: no luxury, not fancy food, but nice people, a lot of stories, wildlife, nature....any one any suggestions?

Regards from vibeke b lassen

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going Victoria to Bella Coola

Hi WildLioness ~

First you want to look into what attractions and/or activities there are in Bella Bella and Bella Coola before you decide if it fits your plans. You don't mention what time of year you are planning your trip.

You would need to take the Greyhound coach from Victoria to Port Hardy. Then you would need to take BC Ferries which mainly goes to Prince Rupert. You will need to check their schedule to see which sailings stop in BB and BC. The ferry up north has two distinct scheduling seasons, so make sure you are looking at either the spring/summer schedule or the fall/winter one.

www.greyhound.ca

www.bcferries.ca

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going Victoria to Bella Coola

I just got back from that exact trip, and while I had a marvellous time and loved seeing the area, I would like to know a little bit more about why you want to go there and what you think you might do. Its beautiful, but not a lot of options for tourists.

The area is extremely remote - extremely - and not at all developed. If you like to fish, then there are lots of boats in both places and I'm sure you could find people to take you out fishing. These communities are extremely small and you may find you have limited options once you arrive. Make sure to research this thoroughly so that you have clear expectations about the trip.

You could do a circuit on the Discovery Coast Ferry route

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/discovery/

There are a number of route options, the most direct being 12 hrs from Bella Coola to Port Hardy with no stops. We did Bella Coola, around the north side of King Island, stopping in Shearwater and Bella Bella and arriving in Port Hardy about 23 hrs after we left Bella Coola. We also met a family from Ontario who had stopped a few days in Ocean Falls (dad was born there and they were returning to see it) and then picked up the next ferry to complete the loop back to Port Hardy. Its worth noting that not all stops are served on all sailings and you will be forced to wait several days for the ferry to collect you on its next run, so plan your schedule carefully.

I would also highly recommend a few days around Port McNeil/Telegraph Cove/Alert Bay. I had not explored this area before and was very impressed. I would easily add this area to the list of must-sees for the Island, along with Victoria and Pacific Rim/Tofino.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going Victoria to Bella Coola

Unfortunately, there is no bus to Bella Bella or Bella Coola. You need to have access to a car, or have someone that you can go with that has a vehicle. This is in part because of it being extremely remote, and it is hard to get to many locations without a vehicle. There is the Discovery Coast Ferry, that will take you from Port Hardy to Bella Bella to Shearwater, to Klemtu, Ocean Falls, and then to Bella Coola, and that usually happens in the summer months and into mid September. The BC Ferries website is http://www.bcferries.com and choose the option that says summer north schedules, and that will help you with the information.

We went on this trip in the summer of 2008, and it was really good. We did the 33 hour ferry ride, and went to Bella Coola, and the pattern mentioned above, and we went up the Freedom Highway.

It would be hard to consider this right now with the fact that there is severe flooding in the area right now.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 00:54
Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going Victoria to Bella Coola

Im so sorry I never answered your kind and interesting reply - are you still there?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going Victoria to Bella Coola

We're all still here, WildLioness....

6. Re: Going Victoria to Bella Coola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Bella Coola