We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bella Coola in June/July

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bella Coola in June/July

We are thinking to spend 4 days in Bella Coola and we are wondering if there will be enough to do, since we are not the youngest ones anymore, we like to hike, but more short hikes, drive around with the car to some lookout points and make maybe some tours. Our questions:

1. Are there scenic routes with a car , beside driving through the valley?

2. Are there reasonable priced boat tours through the Fjords( 2 to 3 hours) . The tours which I have seen online look kind of pricey

3. Is it advisable and practical to go to the Tweedsmuir park with a rented car and are there some lookout points without any longer hikes?

4. What is the weather like the end of June and are there some chances to see bears?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

4 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bella Coola in June/July

There is always a chance to see bears. They may be on the side of the road, or down by the river.

There are not really any scenic routes with the car, other than the drive down to the valley. Lots of side roads, but nothing I would take a rental car on. You may very well be violating your rental car contract if you did.

The end of June can still be rainy and wet.

The boat tours are indeed pricey. It costs a lot of money to get anything and everything to Bella Coola.

Are you fishermen at all? Camping, or the motel?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bella Coola in June/July

http://www.bellacoola.ca/

This website is pretty good, but you may have already had a look at it.

Are you actually driving to Bella Coola from Vancouver? How much time will you have total for your trip?

There have been a few threads about Bella Coola in the last month, and they may be worth having a read through.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,188 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bella Coola in June/July

The tours are pricey because there is a limited audience and a short season.

I think it really depends on what you like to do, and its a beautiful place - think I would be very happy just spending a day sitting in a comfortable chair reading a book. But if you are worried that you will be hanging around looking for things to do, then perhaps you don't want to spend quite that long there.

A sense of your overall itinerary might help us to make alternative suggestions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bella Coola in June/July

thanks for all of the answers. We want to fly in from Vancouver, our interests is easy hiking in a nice landscape, my initial thought was to spend one day driving around to some lookouts, combined with short hikes and do one or two boat tours and use one day for a longer or some shorter hikes, So , we intend to be there for 3 full days

Reply to: Bella Coola in June/July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bella Coola