We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monkey mountain

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
monkey mountain

Hello, may have seen my posts before! I now have 5 nights booked in ban saphan, with 1 night free before booking in hua hin. So thought would be good idea to stop in prachuap khiri khan on way to break up journey!

Have read that there is a monkey mountain? Is this worth a visit or not?

Also, is it easy to find?

Many thanks

8 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: monkey mountain

Its know better as "Mirror Mountain" (Khao Chong Krajok) which includes Wat Thammikaram, and does have a lot of aggressive monkeys that steal anything given half a chance. Its at the northern end of town and clearly visible. Don't forget to visit Ao Minao (Lemon Bay) inside the airbase at the southern end of town - its open to the public.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,603 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monkey mountain

We were in PKK last year, we opted to avoid the mountain, as much as I really wanted to go, as I had heard (as bbtony says) that the monkey are quite aggressive, didn't fancy getting a bite (rabies) from one of them, especially with young children in tow. You can have a great lunch at Ao Manao as there are heaps of little restaurants next to the beach and they will bring your lunch down to you where there are lots of deck chairs to sit on - a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monkey mountain

I actually climbed the 418 steps to Wat Thammikaram this past November, and it was well worth it. Fantastic views once you make it to the top. The temple itself was quite small, and was closed for some reason, but the hike, tho arduous, is well rewarded, as you see down the coast for miles. Would not be worth it in bad weather, but on a clear sunny day, like when I went, it was amazing.

For some reason, Trip Advisor does not list it as an attraction in Prachuap, but I found it far more rewarding then Ao Manao, tho that was nice too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: monkey mountain

There are two monkey mountain type areas in Prachuap,the one in the town area is the one with the aggressive monkeys and there is another through the air force base ,turn left when you get to Ao Manao beach and at the base of the mountain you will find the lovely and gentle Langur monkeys ( take some peanuts with you),

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,603 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monkey mountain

Wish I'd known that when we visited 2 years ago.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,593 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: monkey mountain

Me too when we visited at end of last November. The pathway up to the temple was in the process of being rebuilt and was far too precarious for my dodgy hip. Our friends went up though and although enjoying the view were disappointed that the temple was closed too. They also said that the monkeys were very aggressive.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: monkey mountain

to my knowledge, and over 10 years on, when I climbed the steps and it does afford a very nice view of the bay, but the temple has always been closed, though accessible....bypassing the barriers, since not the western world of sue you because I'm to stupid not to pay attention to 'no entrance' signs. really not blocked off very well. was just there last week, and seems they are doing some maintenance work, and have redone the street level statues.....again, adding a waterfall.....again. worth a special trip.....no, if in the area....yes, pop by if needing to see monkeys. good photo opts if climbing to the top.

the monkeys are an issue, and if in the area, 'with food' keep your distance. remember, they are wild animals.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: monkey mountain

Also have a look here beautiful pictures of the langur monkeys this should sway your visit

travelandwildlifephotography.com/dusky-monke…

Reply to: monkey mountain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Prachuap Khiri Khan
More Prachuap Khiri Khan Topics