We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iqaluit in December

Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Iqaluit in December

It will be my first time up north. Any easy way to see some wildlife or the landscapes at this time of year? Also, any good places to try traditional Inuit food or learn about the culture?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iqaluit in December

Hi Polar (ironic name for a poster who has never been north!)

There is musk ox and char offered here and there on menus.. No caribou these days as the harvest is on hold. Water's Edge at the Nova makes some good stuff with northern food. The Frob's restaurant (Frobisher Inn - lots of short forms in Iqaluit) usually has musk ox and char too. Discovery Lodge usually has something on its menu too...but more expensive I find than other places and not any better quality.

There is a small decent museum in town and I recommend a trip to the "'leg" (as in legislative assembly).

There are often fesitvals and feasts around that time so just ask around and read the news papers.

Wildlife? Well unless you chance upon something, your only bet is to hire a guide. I think Nunavut Tourism has some listed.

You can pick up northern food at Iqaluit Enterprises. Small retail place run locally (number is in the phone book). Maktaq (whale fat), Char, sometimes seal etc can be had too. The owner makes some fantastic smoked fish right in house.

Enjoy your trip and dress warm!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iqaluit in December

Hi PolarBear777,

Welcome to the IQALUIT TRAVEL FORUM.

Sounds like a great adventure… for your info, Environment Canada Weather Averages for December are as follows:

DAILY AVERAGE = -22.7 C

DAILY MAX = -18.5 C

DAILY MIN = -26.9 C

EXTREME MAX = 3.4 C = December 29, 2001

EXTREME MIN = -43.4 C = December 30, 1993

Environment Canada – Iqualuit Averages = …weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/… OR http://tinyurl.com/EnvCan-IqaluitAverages

Lol, be sure and pack your woollies !!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iqaluit in December

Thanks to both of you for the information!

In terms of wildlife, how easy is it at that time of year to visit Sylvia Grinnell Park?

Edited: 23 October 2010, 20:01
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,791 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iqaluit in December

Don't forget that there won't be very many hours of daylight in Iqaluit in December (about 6 or 7, according to google - and I imagine that many of them are not that bright, due to the low angle of the sun.)

Nunavut
Level Contributor
95 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iqaluit in December

You won't get much light, you might be able to see arctic hares or foxes close to town, but don't bet on it. Its really cold at that time of year too.

If you want authentic country food, you can usually get some from Iqaluit Eenterprise, they often have mattaaq (whale skin), smoked char, turbot and sometime shrimp and caribou. Best way to eat everything except the turbot is frozen.

The stuff in the restaurants are good but sounds like you are looking for something more traditional. You might want to contact an outfitter to take you out for a day trip by snowmobile or dog sled.

I recommend a visit to the museum and visitors centre and check out the Christmas games if you are here when they are on. You'll see a lot of fun or funny games and get a chance to interact with the community.

6. Re: Iqaluit in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 07:38
Get answers to your questions about Iqaluit
More Iqaluit Topics