We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamie's whale watching

Which Ucluelet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belle River, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Jamie's whale watching

Any ideas on the success rates of whale sightings for this company? The eastern side of the island seem to post very high sightings. Four hundred dollars is an expensive boat ride if there are no whales. Any insight?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamie's whale watching

Here's what I know and I am not affiliated with any tourism operators... I just live here :) :

1) Jamie's Whale Watching company is the best on the west coast - last time I went with them the boat had to come to a complete stop because we were surrounded by grey whales

2) everything is dependent on what time of year you are visiting

3) If its orcas you want to see: There are 80-85 orcas living in southern waters and over 200 living in the northern waters

4) If you go to Telegraph Cove w/ Stubbs Island Whale Watching in August and early September you have about a 99% chance you are going to see something. They are (in my opinion) the best on the island. You can track their sightings log: http://stubbs-island.com/blog/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamie's whale watching

Over the years I've seen many more different types of Cetacea and overall greater numbers of Cetacea on the Outside-it is the open Pacific after all.

If you're counting pennies then go to the Aquarium and see the sad caged animals.

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamie's whale watching

Wildlife is unpredicatable, but the success rate is quite high. That being said, Jamies offers a guaranteed sighting policy. If you don't see a whale, they give you boarding passes for another trip. They have had people use them even 10 years later. We have a permanent population of Grey Whales and Humpbacks and we have transient Orcas here every 2 or 3 weeks. Plus, in Spring and Fall, there is another, migratory population of Grey Whales that travel past the West Coast of Vancouver Island, between Alaska and Baja.

4. Re: Jamie's whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:16