We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Lebanon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Just wondering if anyone can provide some information on the Merland Park Cottages/Hotel in Picton? Curious as to how rustic they are?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

I'm not really sure what you mean by rustic, but they are located in a relatively built up area with homes etc. so it's certainly not wilderness. It is however quite convenient to drive into Picton. Never been there, just driven by so I'm afraid that's all the help I can provide.

ktown

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Hi VanDo,

Welcome to the PICTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Like KTOWNTRAVLLR, I too have only driven by on numerous occasions... according to their website the Park has been under new ownership since 2002 and they have made many improvements in the last 10 years... including building some new cottages.

Merland Park is primarily a destination for Fishing Vacations (although that isn't a requirement) in that they are located on Picton Bay which is well known in the Fishing World... Lake Ontario's expanse of Walleye, Bass & Pike.

Maybe if you tell us a bit about your "vision" for your vacation in PECounty we can tell you a bit more about the location and if this might be a good fit for you.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Lebanon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

We're going to Niagara Falls and then heading up to Sandbanks Provincial Park for 2-3 days. I am not a camper so staying in the park is not an option. My husband is a big fisherman, and our 11 yr old son enjoys it, too. I thought this might be a good place to stay due to the proximity to the water. I haven't seen any reviews on Merland Park, however, and I just want to make sure it isn't a dive. The pictures on their website look reasonable, but I've been lured in by deceptive pictures before. I need a clean room, hot water, and the ability to get a good night's sleep.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Hi VanDo,

As I said, I don't know the property other than to drive by (and a look at their Website)... but based on your "vision" it does sound like a good match.

I was impressed reading that the new owners came out of Toronto... there is a movement here in The County of folks moving from BIG impersonal TO to the countryside and making a go of it and opening businesses that they have put their heart & soul into... so that makes me feel good about the spot.

As you've probably figured out they are a distance from Sandbanks, but to be honest most of the "dodgey" spots (Trailer Parks & such) are over by the Park and seem to "take advantage" of the unsuspecting visitors who just stop at the first place they find. Things in and around Picton are a bit more "permanent" and there is a good Chamber of Commerce, Business Assoc etc associated with this side of the Peninsula.

Unfortunately, I don't have any plans right now to get down to PECounty until later this summer (it is a 3+ Hour Drive for me from Ottawa)... otherwise I would have offered to do a look-see for you.

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… No matter where you end up staying in The County… please come back to TripAdvisor and tell us about your Adventure with a TripReport… and post a REVIEW or two… it goes a long way to helping other Travellers.

Lebanon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Great feedback. It's those trailer park type of places I'm defintiely trying to avoid. If we decide to stay there I will definitely post a review.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Hi VanDo,

Glad to be of help... I'll keep an eye out... and if I find anything else on the Net about them (or happen to be in the neighbourhood), I will post again.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montréal
Level Contributor
105 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Hello,

We were at Merland Park in 2000 for one week.

We were in the cottage # 2, directly on the waterfront.

The site was well - located in a small bay.

The sunsets were wonderful and we could see the fishermen returning every evening at sunset. Nice.

The pool was very clean and little used.

Our cottage was old, very rustic (like a camp in a outfitter) and not very well maintained. The bathroom had been redone. The air conditioning was very, very old and made a lot of noise.

However, I was seeing on their site and it seems to have been certain kinds of other renovations but I'm surprise to see that some things have not changed as the old cabinets in the kitchen and the furniture.

At all two years, we return in Picton but never at Merland Park. If you want more details, please email me and I'll try to help you the best of my knowledge.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,592 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Hi NRRobinson;

Please be willing to share your information with members ON THE FORUMS, not offline. That way everyone can benefit from your experience.

If anyone has any questions, please post them and hopefully NRRobinson will answer them on the forum.

Best Regards

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Hi there,

Just got back from a 3 day stay there with my 2 boys (2 & 4). The cottages were neat and clean, some older than others (we were on the water in an older cottage) and it was fine. Fully functioning kitchen clean floors and small bathroom. Minutes from town and they provided us with a pass to the Sandbanks Park so we saved $16. Overall it was good and we would go back. Good Luck!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Merland Park Cottages/Hotel

Hi LymaniGirl,

Thanks for the UPDATE it is much appreciated... now I know where to recommend in case others ask (Quinte Isle is soooo seasonal, that sometimes it is hard knowing what is what).

You'll want to also write a REVIEW (you could probably just cut & paste this info) as more Travellers read them than the FORUM (and they have more longevity than a FORUM topic).

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you guys had a great vacation.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2