We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see and do when traveling with a disabled child

DCandFam
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Things to see and do when traveling with a disabled child

Hello,

My son, who is disabled, is currently wheelchair bound due to a surgery. We will be in the Sand Banks for a few days but were hoping to find some neat (and relatively accessible) day trips around the area. He likes beaches, skateboarding, baseball, cars and animals, particularly dogs. I like the looks of Amherst and Wolfe islands as well as the Glendora ferry, Lake on the Mountain and areas like that but fear they would not be interesting for a kid, nor accessible. (He is small and light enough that I can carry him short distances/stairs but could not do a long hike.)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Dawn

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see and do when traveling with a disabled child

Hmmm, how old is your son?

If he likes boats/ferry's, then those are some good options. You could take a look at Lake on the Mountain (not much there, but very nice and if memory serves it's wheelchair friendly), hop the Glenora ferry over, head on to Kingston. Lots to do there - check out the Kingston forums (not sure about wheelchair accessibility at many of the attractions, but you could easily double check once you determine what he might be interested in). The Wolfe Island ferry is a bit longer, and offers great views of Kingston and Fort Henry. Get an ice cream on Wolfe Island (most kids would approve of that activity).

Belleville has a rather large dog park right at the base of the Bay Bridge. Just turn right at the light at the bottom of the hill. Not wheelchair friendly in the park, but he can get right up to the gate to watch the dogs, and I'm sure most pet parents would be happy to let him pet their dog.

There's also a skateboard park in Belleville where he could watch some of the kids. It's located on Moira Street East (west of the river, north of College Street). It's all parkland along the river there, and the skate park will be on your right close to the washroom/concession building.

Presquille Provincial Park has some trails, at least one of which is a boardwalk so wheelchair accessible. There may be others too, I'm just not sure.

ktown

2. Re: Things to see and do when traveling with a disabled child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 07:21