We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandbanks

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sandbanks

We're going to Sandbanks, but will only be able to use the day area. Of the four beaches accessible to us- Dunes, Sandbanks, Lakeshore Lodge and Outlet Beach- is there one that is better than another?

We'd like something less crowded (less being a relative term!) and a place where we can swim.

Any suggestions?

UG

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandbanks

I'm only familiar with the first two, and I'm not even sure I got the names right, but the locals aren't biting so I'll try...

Sandbanks Beach, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is basically your classic beach: a nice long, wide, flat sandy strip, and a sandy, shallow bottom stretching out into the lake. No real draw backs if you're looking for a standard beach, and I can understand if people prefer it. Personally, I find the Dunes beach a lot more interesting. Its lake bottom isn't quite as weed-free or shallow, but it's got sand dunes rising steeply from the shoreline in parts, making it a really neat landscape to explore, or just a good spot to spread out your towel at the top of a dune. It also has flat parts.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandbanks

I don't think you'll find any less crowded areas unfortunately.

I'm not a sit on the beach all day person, so I can't really say. I've walked most of the beaches though (off season), but I don't remember the names. Beaches 3-9 (maybe, I really am not sure) are bordered by sand dunes that are between the parking lots and the beach. These seem to be incredibly popular, but are also beautiful.

What I'd suggest is a bit of exploring, and then decide for yourself. Drive from area to area, get out and check out the beaches.

I'd suggest that you get there early in the day if you want a good spot. Seems that parking can get pretty difficult sometimes later in the day in the more popular areas.

ktown

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandbanks

Thanks, Tweed, that helps!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandbanks

Apparently the effort I put into my reply wasn't at all helpful. Sorry for wasting my time.

ktown

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandbanks

Hmmm, I agree with KTOWNTRAVLLR... it is proper FORUM Netiquette to thank "everyone" for their input... it really is rude to single out one Poster, and not thank the others as well. It makes others feel that their contributions are not appreciated... and also means that anyone else with info to share may not post. Certainly cuts down on the input one will receive.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandbanks

I know you would have already been and gone but for anyone in the future reading this, I had the same issue of finding a less popular beach, as I am not the typical bikini loving spring break young woman.

I always pack a picnic and head out to the "rocks", its on the end of the peninsula between outlet beach and sandbanks beach. As you enter the park from the main entrance turn right immediatly and follow the water along, the road will turn right and you will come to a four way stop. If you go straight it leads you to sandbanks beach and part of the campgrounds, right to the dunes and left to the "rocks". Its a beautiful place, but very few people venture there. You can climb down to where waves crash on the rocks (there is no sandy beach here but the rocks are flat bottomed for wading and swimming on calmer days. We usually wade in and sun on the rocks. I highly recommend this area (although not if you have little swimmers with you since they may not like walking on the flat rocks).

enjoy!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandbanks

TO FOLLOWME2ADVENTURE,

Welcome to the PICTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Thanks for the great info... I've been going to Sandbanks for over 30 Years, and this is something new to me... I will have to check it out.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... I see your TA LOCATOR says Ottawa, you should stick around the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUMS could always use another helping hand... the more the merrier !

8. Re: Sandbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:32