We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

Nova Scotia
4 posts
Save Topic
Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

We rented the "Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa" at 156 Onderdonk Lane, Prince Edward County for one week this September. We signed the rental agreement back in May and paid $1200 in full prior to arriving on Sept 20. The owners were not there to meet us. The cottage was not cleaned - especially the kitchen where we found rotten lettuce and other food items in the fridge.

We contacted the owner on the cell phone to report that. We were told that the owner was three hours away and could come to deal with it. We then asked about internet connection and satellite TV as both these items were listed in the rental agreement as available. We were told by the owner that no internet or satellite TV services were hooked up. The owner insisted that she sent us an email back in August telling us to use the wireless internet connection at their neighbour's and that there was no satellite TV.

We did not receive such an email but we gave it a try anyway and could not get connected.

Since internet service was on our "must have" list of prospective rental properties, we would have certainly not rented this cottage if we knew about it earlier.

At this point it became obvious to us that the cottage did not have amenities that we paid for and were expecting to have. The owners then became very unpleasant trying to bully us into accepting the situation and refused to refund our money.

The owner mentioned a possibility of having the internet hooked up later that week. There was no way of knowing how many days that would have taken and we needed (does not matter for what reason) to have the internet working right away.

We left the cottage an hour after we arrived. Our attempts to get back at least part of our money from the owners were unsuccessful. Our invitations for a proposal from the owners as to settling this matter in civilized and amicable way have been ignored.

We enjoyed the couple of days we spent in the Prince Edward County - could not afford to stay longer. We were charmed by a very nice Inn at Huff Estates as well as the Sand Dunes Provincial Park and the Town of Picton with its Lake on the Hill. We met very friendly people everywhere and brought back nice memories, marred only by this unpleasant situation at the cottage.

8 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

Hi Turystka01,

Welcome to the PICTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing Vacationa Rental... curious though, how did you hear about this cottage?

AND SPA... ???

I have been a long time vacationer in PE County... please tell me more about the Spa. I can't seem to place a Spa in my memory for the area you've indicated.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 29 October 2010, 00:30
Nova Scotia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

"Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa" is the cottage name. I found it on kijiji: …kijiji.ca/c-Canada-Ontario-Belleville-BAY-O…

It could also be found here: atthecottage.com/forrent4/…index.html

Regards

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

You don't seem to have much luck with rental properties.

Edited: 29 October 2010, 01:42
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

Hi Turystka01,

Ok... so there is no SPA... just an on-site Hot-Tub and Sauna... I don't know that would have been a RED FLAG for me... calling something one name, and selling something different.

After GXP's comment... I checked your TA Posting History... interesting you had a bad cottage experience last summer as well (albeit in PEI).

Curious why after that, posting a FORUM Topic to complain & warn others that you then wanting to rent again you didn't use your TA Membership more constructively. Heck that is what it does best Trip Planning.

I am fairly certain if you had used TA (and all its resources including the FORUMS) that you would have found a Cottage with a solid reputation.

Something to think about for 2011.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Nova Scotia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

You are right, two years in a row;

And yes, we should have been smarter but thought last year was an aberration; no such luck.

We had rented great cottages before – couple of examples:

http://www.cumberlandoceanfronthideaway.com/ -PEI

http://morningmistcottage.com/facility.htm - Nova Scotia

Regards

Midland, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

This post is only a quarter of the facts, The situation is actually very different. We stand by our reputation and the many favourable replys we have had from our visitors. In our first year of business we have only recieved one not so happy vacationer. Unfortunately you canot please everybody, im not surprised turystka01 has had two negative experiences, very difficult people to please. THANKS FOR THE ABILITY TO ARCHIVE EMAILS, all the info has always been in the advertisement !!! Good Luck with your 2011 vacation planning.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,661 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

" We stand by our reputation and the many favourable replys we have had from our visitors."

Hi cumasti1;

The posting guidelines require you, as a business user, to identify yourself.

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County

TO CUMASTI1,

Welcome to the PICTON TRAVEL FORUM.

And I also see that you are a NEW Member of TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

RESCUE TEAM is right… TA has very strict Guidelines for the use of the FORUMS by Property Owners… you must declare who you are (name), and what you represent (property name) to all whenever you use the FORUMS … but especially when replying to a Traveller… otherwise there is no way of knowing if your Post is legit, and as such will no doubt be DELETED / REMOVED / CLOSED by “The Owls” (TA Moderators).

For more info see the TA FORUMS POSTING GUIDELINES = tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Reply to: Bay Of Quinte Cottage and Spa Prince Edward County
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Picton