We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

3 posts
Save Topic
Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

We've been trying during 3 years to get a pair of campsites with electricity and shadow in Sandbanks for 4 days on July or August. It seems mission impossible, even five months ahead at midnight these campsites are not available. Any suggestions or tips?

31 replies to this topic
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

When I booked two years ago, it was at 7am. My husband and I were both able to book two campsites side by side with good shade and electricity in the Woodland area. We were quite pleased with our sites. I remember when browsing beforehand it shows that the sites are booked. However they open up at 7am, five months beforehand. It didn't seem to get booked that fast otherwise we wouldn't have managed to separately book the two sites.

Good luck booking! :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

Lorena S, if you're still following this thread --

When we were discussing this earlier this winter I didn't actually go look at the reservation site for Sandbanks, but I just looked now and it seems there are a few sites available for most days in July and August, including even the August long weekend. Not a wide selection of sites but a few.

I guess one more tip I'll offer is that if you're not finding any sites that are available for a 4 day stretch at the time you want to go, try shortening the time, or looking at the availability on individual nights. You may find that there are sites available for each of the nights you want to be there, you'll just have to change sites partway through your stay.

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

Hi there. A word of advice, please do NOT book with "smugglers Cove Resort" they claim to be a family campground with rules/policies. However there is a catch and that is, there is a private cottage on this campgrounds property and they"smugglers cove" let family and friends completely run/devastate people whose paid to stay there's vacation. We were kept up untill 2AM with their shenanigans/drinking. When asked for the situation to be dealt with (asking to just have fun/drink responsibility -with respect to other campers) we were kicked off with threats of opp being called. Never in my camping life nor my parents have we been treated with this kind of abuse. It completely wrecked our trip we waited a year for and scared my six year old nephew.especially when the "owner" gave him (a six year old) the finger, while driving around on site drinking beer. Was a sad and scary situation. There is another lovely resort in Picton close to Sandbanks close to "lake on the mountain" Hope this help you at least avoid a unnecessary situation. Good luck

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

I'm fairly sure what's happening here is that people who want to book a particular weekend do so 5 months, plus the 23 days maximum reservation time, in advance of the actual dates they want. They then wait for 1 month and change their reservation to remove all unwanted days leading up to their desired weekend. The penalty for doing this is only 10% of your booking (as far as I can tell). I spoke to a woman at Kilbear last year, and she hinted that this is what is happening. I'm going to try it soon. If you can't beat-em, join-em.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

Just to add on to this, if you get shut out of the dates that you want don't give up. Start checking again starting 4 months (to the day) before the dates you want. That's when people can start cancelling the dates that they don't intend to use.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

We've been trying for a few years now to reserve a beachfront lot to no avail! Seems impossible to snag one. Every morning at exactly 6:59 I enter all the necessary info and hit reserve at 7:00 and any beachfront lot that was available at 6:59 is suddenly unavailable at 7:00. Something seems fishy. I don't trust this system. And to allow people to reserve 23 days at a time just doesn't seem fair. That's a big chunk of prime time summer weeks. I think allowing 1 week at a time for the "in demand " sites would be fair. If anyone out there knows any insider tips to snag a waterfront lot please let me know. Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

I found exactly the same thing. I have been trying to book a site for the last few weeks - starting mid-week as one of the other writers suggested, and trying most mornings at 7 am. I found that not only was my first pick gone a split second after 7 am, but so was many of the other sites, even though they were marked as available just before the 7 am reservation time. I too think that some campers have perhaps found a way around the system, or at least a way to bet me to the click. Good luck!

3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

Yes, this tip is very useful, thanks! Also, somebody told my to research in advance the sites available by the calendar menu and have at least two alternatives "pre-reserved" ar 6:59 am. If one of them doesn't work, you click the other one inmediatly. To do this, you need two devices.

Aurora, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

My family has been trying to get a beach side site for a few years now. Here is what I know. Last year at Sandbanks, in July, we walked along the road way looking at those coveted sites. Almost all of the people were french speaking. Do the lines open up earlier in Quebec? We are going to try tomorrow morning to book on the beach but know, chances are, the sites that are now available will not be available by 7:00:01 tomorrow morning. It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually been successful. My other thought is people who work for provincial parks, perhaps getting friends and family in before the lines open up to the public. Seems so odd.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?

Kathryn, it's an Ontario provincial park, there's no separate line for Quebec. And your best bet is using the online system, not the phone lines. As probably mentioned earlier in this thread, reservations can be made 5 months before the start of your visit, so people booking for a period that overlaps yours but starts earlier have a jump on you. Some people are said to book choice sites for the whole summer just to get first dibs, and later cancel the parts they won't use. Keep checking as the date approaches.

Reply to: Any tips to get a campsite in Sandbanks Provincial Park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted