We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haida Gwaii on the fly late May 2014?

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
Haida Gwaii on the fly late May 2014?

We are planning a trip to HG and are considering May 23-June 1st 2014. We will fly into Sandspit and rent a car. After doing some reading I've concluded that "winging it" might be the best planning.I would book the car rental in advance and the first night in Sandspit but play it by ear from there. We want to do as much hiking as possible and do a one day kayak but don't want to book in advance as it would be weather dependant. My thought is it won't be busy that time of year so can make decisions on the fly.Does anyone see any problems with this lack of planning?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,093 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haida Gwaii on the fly late May 2014?

You may have an issue with the kayak tour. If they don't get the requisite number of clients, they won't take the tour out. Do google some of the tour companies there, and check out their cancellation policies.

Welcome to trip advisor too!

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Haida Gwaii on the fly late May 2014?

As this is shoulder season you may run into the issues Joan mentions. Another issue is that even if they do not have minimum requirement they may need at least a day to schedule staff if the tour was not already running and you are only people on it. Even if you do fly by the seat of you pants when it comes to booking things it is best to research and call the different operators to see how likely they can accommodate you at the last minute.

Tlell, British...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Haida Gwaii on the fly late May 2014?

It sounds like you've figured out the perrrrfect way to travel on Haida Gwaii. Instead of trying to book a one-day kayak tour, I'd look into renting kayaks in Queen Charlotte (if you're experienced) and toodle Skidegate Inlet. You do not need a guide and will be somewhat sheltered in this area. The car rental is a good idea, and maybe your initial accom.. but leave the rest to roll out on its own.

Tlell, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Haida Gwaii on the fly late May 2014?

If you have your own vehicle, Tlell is centrally located for access north and south, and has lots of good trails there too.

5. Re: Haida Gwaii on the fly late May 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Haida Gwaii (Queen...
More Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) Topics