We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confiscation of Alcohol at Schipol Airport

Which Schiphol hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
Save Topic
Confiscation of Alcohol at Schipol Airport

On the 23rd August, I travelled from Bangkok to Amsterdam with a connecting flight to Manchester UK. I purchased duty free alcohol in Bangkok which was sealed and the receipt contained within the transparent packaging. Landing at Amsterdam I was remained 'air side' and upon entering the departure gate for my Manchester flight, I was required to pass through security whereupon my alcohol was confiscated. I understand the restrictions which are in place, but the question I have is 'Why, when liquid is sold air side in one airport and placed in a transparent tamper proof sealed bag, can it not be transported to one's final destination?'

I would have understood if I'd have left the airport in Amsterdam, but remaining 'air side' for the duration of the journey surely makes this regulation rather foolish? The duty free shop at Bangkok assured me that I would be okay to retain the alcohol for my journey. Clearly they are more interested in selling rather than protecting the consumer. The Security at Schipol explained that duty free alcohol purchased outside the EU would have been allowed to be retained if my final destination was Schipol. As I was transiting then attempts to take more than 100 ml of liquid on any aircraft from there meant that it was liable to confiscation. It appears to matter not that the liquid is in a tamper proof sealed transparent bag, with receipt and the passenger has always remained 'air side'. How ridiculous is this? PASSENGERS BEWARE! If you purchase duty free alcohol outside the EU and are transiting on your journey, it will be confiscated! Its time the authorities saw sense with this. Also, there should be more liability placed upon the duty free retailers when/if they provide passengers with misinformation. After all, they ask for your boarding bass and ultimate destination so they too should burden some responsibility!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,622 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confiscation of Alcohol at Schipol Airport

Sorry but the shop in BKK lied to you. Too late for you now but the rules are clearly stated on the Schiphol website

schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Luggage/Ru…

Particularly

"Regulations for non EU countries

Liquid goods purchased tax-free at an airport outside of the European Union will be confiscated at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. This also applies if the goods are sealed and applies to any purchases made on board of a non-European airline.

Sealed fluids from the United States, Canada, Malaysia and Singapore can be transferred to the next flight via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. However, this does not apply if you transfer on a flight to the United States or if you take a Delta Airlines flight to Mumbai."

So there are exceptions but not BKK. The Non Schengen area of Schiphol is not sterile as you can enter it by just passing passport control from non airside which is why security is done at the gate.

By the way this really has nothing to do with Amsterdam and you would be better posting on the air travel forum but of course it has been posted many times there before.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 10:33
2. Re: Confiscation of Alcohol at Schipol Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Schiphol