We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight layover.

Which Schiphol hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WI
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight layover.

My wife & I are due to arrive in Amsterdam at 7:00 PM on Oct.14 after a short flight and then fly out Oct. at 2:40 PM. The first thing we need to sort out is a cheap-reasonable accommodation. It would be nice to do some tourism in Amsterdam if there is some time. That might require some easy access to the train. (I am familiar with the train from the airport). As the majority of our luggage should be checked through we ought to be traveling light.

Any ideas particularly on accommodation?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,241 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight layover.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c115136/Amste…

Read this and see if it suits you.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight layover.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

And here is a follow up link to the link Ron just provided

WI
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight layover.

Thanks for the info. I had not thought about bidding.

What might be useful would be the names of a couple hotels that are convenient to the rail line or near the station (and not generally expensive). That might make doing a little sightseeing the in the city doable.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight layover.

It doesn't matter where your hotel is, though somewhere in the center would be nicest. Just leave your bags in the hotel's storage room in the morning, do your sightseeing, pick up bags and travel to airport. Either by train (from Central Station at the northern edge of the center) or by bus (from Leidseplein / Museumplein at the southern edge of the center).

Daylight will be quite short in October but the city is beautiful after dark, and safe to walk around in. Especially the canals look like some fairytale. Doing a canal boat cruise is also lovely after dark.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

5. Re: Overnight layover.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Schiphol