We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

Kent
Level Contributor
362 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

I am looking for new places to go other than Boulogne, St Omer and Lille that are decent and are on a train line from Calais for a day trip. I have seen Hazebrouck as an option, is there anything good about it? Or any other recommendations? Thanks.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

Hazebrouck is easy to get to as it is where the lines from Calais and Dunkerque come together and go on to Lille and Lens. I briefly left he station there once but was not particularly impressed. There is a rail service between Calais and Dunkerque but it is not frequent, check the timings on www.voyages-sncf.com.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

There is quite a nice park in Hazebrouck which had goats, chickens, which was quite good. We visited there on route to V2 museum at St Omer (although not appropriate for the train option as had car, but about Hazebrouck) It wasn't a big place though, but I enjoyed the park as I went in June so was quite pretty.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

The hilltop town of Cassel is quite interesting.

There is a museum, a chateau and several restuarants and several walks that you can do.

See http://www.ot-cassel.fr/ for details.

Cassel is about 20 minutes by bus from outside the Gare SNCF in Hazebrouck.

The town of Bergues is also worth visiting. From Calais, you have to get to Dunkerque or Hazebrouck, from where you can get the train to Bergues.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

A bit further afield are Amiens, or Lens which now has a Louvre museum.

Kent
Level Contributor
362 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

Thank you for your helpful posts. I will just need to for a bit longer than a day it seems. I'd love to do overnights every month or something, but I have other commitments right now... Boulogne and St. O it is!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

Keep us updated Josh.

I might go over again December, depends.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

Just a few miles east of Boulogne is a small town called Desvres where the hand painted pottery comes from. There is a shop on the corner of the street just past the main square where you can actually see the plates etc. being painted by the owner. There is also a factory nearby but it was closed on the day we stopped by.

Not sure about train travel but worth noting.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 22:25
8. Re: Any towns/ cities worth visiting from Calais on the train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2017, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Nord
More Nord Topics