We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Port Hardy

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Port Hardy

Does anyone know the best way to get to Port Hardy without a car? We will be flying into Vancouver from England and need to make our way to Port Hardy for the Inland Passage ferry. It looks like we need to get the ferry to Victoria and then a train some of the way but does anyone know if there is a direct /simpler way of getting there from Vancouver please? If not what is the best way to get from the end of the rail journey to Port Hardy?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Port Hardy

As an idea.........Perhaps your best way with the least hassles would be the Greyhound Bus.

http://www.greyhound.ca/en/

this site lets you input your departure and arrival times and gives fare prices.

Note: that the bus fare includes the cost of the ferry trip to Vancouver Island.

All you'd have to do is find a way to the nearest Greyhound bus terminal in Vancouver (by taxi or such).

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Port Hardy

Georgiegal has given you good information.

I just want to point out that the Greyhound bus boards the ferry at Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. You then do the ferry crossing from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay / Nanaimo. After that, the bus disembarks from the ferry and drives to Port Hardy.

Nanaimo is on the east coast of Vancouver Island, a couple of hours' drive north of Victoria. Hence the Greyhound trip will not take you through Victoria.

Just for clarification.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Port Hardy

Greyhound is definitely the simplest way. They leave Vancouver depot, drive onto the ferry (Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay), leave the ferry and go to the depot in Nanaimo. Your luggage is on the bus and you don't have to lug it around while on the ferry. At Nanaimo, you may have to change busses (not a big deal) or else in Campbell River in order to go on to Port Hardy. It can be done in one day, but I think it leaves Vancouver about 5:20 AM and then arrives in Port Hardy about 3:30 PM.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Port Hardy

Pacific Coastal Airlines flies to Port Hardy - check their schedules at www.pacific-coastal.com.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Port Hardy

swardyvr, that's a good option too........

Melbourne
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Port Hardy

Doonbeg, I just got back from doing this very thing. I looked at all my options and at the end of the day the easiest option was taking a flight on pacific coastal airlines from Vancouver airport (south terminal) direct to Port hardy.

took only an hr and half i think and cost CA$180 one way. The effort and time it will take to go from here to there, catch this, go there etc...was too much fussing around. The flight was on a 20 seat plane and was a great experience - everyone gets a window seat!! and the views were stunning flying over Vancouver and the mountains.

I stayed at Glen Lyon Inn in Port Hardy. The views were lovely and one of the friendliest hotels i stayed at in all of BC. they even arranged the bus to take me right up to the ferry terminal at Bear cove. Great experience.

Good Luck!

Aintlifegrand

7. Re: How to get to Port Hardy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 03:16