We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

We are looking at hiring a car to spend a couple of days travelling from Victoria to Port Hardy in Mid May.What are the road conditions like and is there likely to be snow or ice. Is it a busy road and is there lots of traffic

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

Another thing - where should we stay in Port Hardy and how do we get to Ferry in morning.

Do we seriously have to check-in 2 hours before a 0730 departure when we are booked and paid for??

Thanks alot - who needs a travel agent when we have Trip-Advisor!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

<<we will spend 2 days driving up Vancouver island to Port Hardy. Where would be a good place to stop overnight and is Tofino worth a detour? >>

While I'd say Tofino is well worth the detour (although you have your share of wild, windswept beaches in Australia, so perhaps not as impressive for you as someone from Kansas), but with only two days, it's a big detour, and no time to really see it once you get there.

The stretch between Parksville and Courtenay is nice. You might want to look at spending a night on Hornby Island, just south of Courtenay. I haven't been there (yet!) but I've heard lovely things about it.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,936 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

<<where should we stay in Port Hardy and how do we get to Ferry in morning.>>

The Quarterdeck is right on the water and probably the best in town-it's not much of a town.

http://www.quarterdeckresort.net/

I've stayed @ the Glen Lyon it was adequate then I see it's been improved upon all to the good.

http://www.glenlyoninn.com/

<<Do we seriously have to check-in 2 hours before a 0730 departure when we are booked and paid for??>>

There's a (relatively cheap) Ferry shuttle that hits all the hotels in town and drops you off right @ the Bear Bay Ferry Terminal-this all happens at ungodly o'clock of the AM you really have little choice and that's why you need a cabin.

The 2 hours in advance though is more for cars.

Speaking of cars have you double checked how much it will cost you to drop off a car in Port Hardy-charges used to be outrageous maybe they're just high now (!)

Plus check where the car Rental Office is-if it's out @ the airport that's a minimum $20 cab ride back into town so make sure the rental company will take you back to your hotel.

Or just take a bus from Victoria.

<<Thanks alot - who needs a travel agent when we have Trip-Advisor!!>>

You're quite Welcome!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

For the overnight between Victoria and Port Hardy, I'd suggest Parksville, Qualicum Beach, Bowser, the Kingfisher just south of Courtenay (www.kingfisherspa.com), or somewhere in Campbell River. (www.oysterbayresort.com www.heronslandinghotel.com www.bwcampbellriver.com)

I would agree that Tofino is pushing the boundary a bit far - it would be a lot of extra driving and not much enjoying.

I think going to Hornby Island might be a bit much with getting the ferry there and back.

You might want to check with BC Ferries about the check-in time for walk on, but they need to have the vehicles there to load according to who is getting off where along the way or who is going right through to Prince Rupert.

BC
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

You are coming all the way to Prince Rupert, another option (instead of Tofino) is to make the extra journey to Queen Charlotte (Haida Gwaii). Its much further of course (a 7 hr ferry from Rupert) but twice as beautiful (in my humble opinion) and far less busy. You can walk on the ferry for fairly cheap, then would probably want to rent a car when you got there (book ahead). It adds some time to your journey, of course, but well worth it to spend a few days if you have the time. You would definitely see some black bears at that time of year if you drove on the backroads, an possibly even along the highway.

Re: the Queen of the North, it is certainly not the norm as mentioned before for ferries to sink. All but 2 of the passengers on that sailing were rescued by residents of coastal community Hartley Bay, and it is suspected that the 2 lost passengers were riding below in their vehicle (not on the passenger deck) which is not recommended.

Happy travels!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

Thanks for all the tips. Still jiggling with itinery and now considering hiring car to Campbell River then the bus to Port Hardy.We could even do just one day car hire and stay in CampbellRiver o/n. would this be a nice place to stay and is there much to do there/.Or is it too long a day to drive there and should we stop somewhere else o/n and drive on to Campbell R the next day in time for bus at 2pm

Also - anyone used EASYCLICK for hotel bookings - I've used many other sites but never heard of this one before - seems to have the best prices for Seattle,Victoria and Vancouver - the only cities I've looked at so far.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

To drive Victoria to Campbell River direct using the freeway (Hwy 19) is about 3 hrs. But, I'd suggest stopping to check out Coombs (near Parksville) and then take Hwy 19A from Parksville to Campbell River. Make it a leisurely drive and you'll see lots of interesting scenery and places.

The 3 links I gave above (Oyster Bay resort, Herons Landing and the Best Western) are all good places to stay in Campbell River - the latter two being closer to town and the first being about 15 mins south. I'd pick one of the latter and be closer into town - go to the Museum, Maritime Heritage Centre or even a walk on the pier.

http://www.campbellriverbc.net/webcam/ This website gives webcams and other links.

18. Re: Road conditions Victoria BC to Port Hardy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Port Hardy